five - vardaros

Your eyes fluttered open at the sound of Eugene's loud voice. He was on one knee in front of you, holding a ring in his hands.

"Are you asking me to marry you?"

"No, silly!" He laughed, "I'm practicing! Besides, you've already got a man there."

"Huh?" You mumbled. The realization hit you as you heard Varian's soft snoring. His head was rested on top of yours and he was peacefully sleeping. "Oh. Eugene!"

Eugene softly snickered as he and Lance exited the caravan. You wanted to get up, but you didn't want to disturb the sleeping boy next to you. Not that you cared about him.

You closed your eyes and enjoyed the sounds of the birds outside. But that was quickly interrupted by Cassandra barging in.

"Rise and shine!" She yelled. Varian jumped awake and you laughed at the scared expression on his face. "Ha ha," he said sarcastically.

Cassandra rolled her eyes, "Okay, you guys need to get up! You could stay here but I don't trust you two alone in here together."

You pulled out your wand, pointing it at Varian's face, "Yeah, I don't trust me either."

Cass laughed as she left, leaving you alone with Varian once again. "You know, if you try anything to ruin this trip for us, I won't hesitate to hex you."

He scoffed, "I won't, I'm in cuffs remember?"

"I bet you could still wreak havoc in a jail cell."

All of a sudden you heard shrieking coming from outside. You both jumped up and ran out, wand and handcuffed fists in the air.

"Cass! Are you okay, why did you scream?" Rapunzel asked worriedly.

Cassandra turned around, "That wasn't me. It was him," she said.

"Shorty?!" Rapunzel said as the man in question let out another screech.

"You mean to tell me I ran out here for this?!" Varian said, annoyed. "C'mon, I think it's funny!" You argued.

"Okay, um, how did you get here?" Rapunzel asked. He proceeded to try to explain, but was going into too much detail.

Cass rolled her eyes, "Bottom line?"

"I fell asleep in a food trunk."

Lance gasped as he ran to the food trunk, finding everything eaten. He nearly started crying.

"Okay, guys, obviously we're in need of more food. We volunteer to go into town and get it," you said, pointing to yourself and Loki.

Varian rolled his eyes, "I think Cass should go. She's stronger and can protect herself if she gets in danger."

"I can protect myself, Varian."

"Well, it was awfully easy to knock you out to steal your truth serum, y/n," he smirked.

"Are you kidding me?!" You yelled taking a step closer to him, "That's it, I'm going so I don't have to be with you for one more second."

The rest of the group stared at you wide-eyed as you and Varian bickered. Shorty was the only one who found it funny.

Varian's face seemed to redden, but before he could spit another insult, Cassandra interrupted.

"Okay, enough! How about we all take the caravan into town and get the food together? Does that sound alright?"

You mumbled a yes and Varian nodded. That was so embarrassing. But god did that boy make your blood boil.

On the ride to Vardaros, Lance sat alone crying over the few crumbs left of his favorite food, Varian literally just stared at the floor, and you wrote down all the things you wanted to do in town.

"Alright! Vardaros, here we come!" Lance said as you arrived to town, but when you got out of the caravan everything looked... scarier than you expected.

Cassandra smirked. "Wow, guys! You were right, this is awesome! What do you want to do first? Steal a knife, get the plague?"

"I..."

"New plan: instead of fun, we'll get the necessities and go."

-

After a short discussion, Rapunzel and Cass went off to find a place to keep the caravan safe, and Eugene, Lance, and Hookfoot decided they'd get the food and materials.

This left you and Varian (And Ruddiger... and Loki.) all alone. Not one of your friends trusted you alone with Varian, but you were put in charge of watching him anyway. In town, you got a bag of food for Loki (Shorty had eaten all of it) and Varian just followed you around. 

"Do you need anything else here?" You asked as you exited the store, "This place gives me the creeps." 

Varian shook his head, "No, do you?"

"Nah, back to the caravan then?" "Yup."

The silence returned as you walked back to the caravan. Tension clouded the air like fog, but you kept your mouths shut. Neither of you dared to start another argument.

You thought that you could have a quiet walk with him for once, with no fighting. You were sure this would go smoothly, then when you got back to the caravan you wouldn't have to be near each other anymore. 

You thought it would go smoothly. Then you tripped. And fell.

A wave of embarrassment washed over you as you heard Varian's muffled snickering. "Help me up, stupid," you said as you held your hand out to him.

Surprisingly, he grabbed it, but the scrapes on it stung. You quickly retracted your hand and struggled to get up.

"Did you scrape your hands?" Varian asked, looking curiously at you as you held your hands close to your chest. "No, I spilled acid on them."

His face went blank. "Lemme see."

"What?" "Let me see your hands, y/n."

You tried studying his expression before you did as he asked. Would he hurt you? Twist your wrists back? Pull out a lemon and squeeze it over your scrapes?

"I have something that'll soothe the burning." Varian pulled out a small glass vial with a light purple liquid sloshing around inside. He took your hands gently in his and massaged some of the liquid into your palms.

"You're helping me?"

He looked at you, a brow raised. "Don't expect it to happen again." 

Varian forcefully pushed your hands back towards you, and started walking towards the caravan without another word. 

That was weird.

------

WC: 1030

hi guys! sorry this took so long, and sorry its short :(

I just wanted to get a chapter out cause yall deserve it! I havent been doing the best mentally lately but i think im starting to get better! I want to spend more time writing so if you have any ideas for this story let me know!

also my bad i forgot to give the last chapter a title so i fixed that just now LMAO

thanks for ur patience <3

adios :0