chapter twenty-three

Emily

I was going back to Ireland today. Actually I was going back now.

I'd spent a full week there now, and I was still hesitant to leave. Molly wasn't allowed out of the hospital for another week and so I'd promised I'd come back that week, despite her telling me I didn't have to. But I did have to because she was my best friend and I'd always promised to be there for her, and now was definitely the time she needed her loved ones the most.

I'd gotten to see Ellie one more time before I left, this time it being my finger that she'd latched onto. Her small action sent so much joy and content through my body that I didn't want to ever leave her. I already loved her so much and I've never been there to even see her open her eyes yet because both times I saw her, she was asleep.

Harry had dropped me off at the airport and annoyingly, our goodbye was awkward. Neither of us had brought up what happened in the private room, and as much as I wanted to, I also didn't. I was scared he would say it was just a mistake, that it was a good thing we were interrupted and that it meant nothing. But that's the opposite of what I thought, and the butterflies it gave me and the increase of my heartbeat, told me it meant something to me.

But I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind, not wanting to exhaust myself from overthinking anything. I was having a meeting with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall in two days and I wanted the cafe to look perfect and the foods and drinks to taste perfect.

The taxi pulled up to the front of the cafe. I handed the driver the money needed as well as a tip before I grabbed my suitcase from the back. I made my way into the cafe, finding it was busier than usual.

"Emily!" I spun around as Max came rushing over to me. Everything about this was giving me déjà vu from when Avery was crying in the back of the kitchen and snapping at any and every customer because she was cheated on.

"Max!" I mocked in attempt to lighten my mood and calm my nerves of what he was about to tell me. However that wasn't happening because I could practically feel my heart beating out of my chest.

"Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall" He blurted out, making me furrow my eyebrows out of confusion.

"Yes, I have a meeting with him in two days" I replied, my heart beat going back to normal as I felt myself calm down.

"No, he's here now" He said, causing me to let out a whimper and my stomach to erupt into butterflies. "He's come early" I shot my head around the cafe and my eyes came in contact with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall who was in fact standing in my cafe, patiently waiting by the counter.

"Why's he here now?" I whimpered. I was not prepared for him whatsoever. I hadn't had any time to go over what I would say when I see him or what I would do. I had planned to overthink all of that tomorrow, but obviously the world had other plans for me.

"I don't know, but you need to go. I'll take you're stuff. Uh, you'll be great" Max said, grabbing my suitcase and attempting to reassure me. 

Max gave me a slight push when I made no effort to move. My legs involuntarily began walking towards him as my insides felt like they were going to explode.

He made eye contact with me, only causing my nerves to increase. I quickened my pace, suddenly feeling as though I could be going to slow for his liking. 

I stopped in front of him, not happy at all with the amount of time I had to think as I walked over. But I kept my unhappiness to myself and instead stuck out my hand for him to shake. He took it with a smile, only easing my nerves ever so slightly.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Emily" He said, causing me to nearly drop dead there. I have no idea how he knew about me and who had told me, but I was immensely proud. Although then again he might not be here for a good reason.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall" I replied with a smile. I had no idea where this boost of confidence was coming from and how I was able to stay calm and collected on the outside, when my insides felt like they were going to burst any moment from nerves.

"The pleasure's mine, but please, call me Hugh" He smiled, causing my eyes to widen slightly. I was on first name basis with him and surely that could only mean something good. 

"Is there anywhere in particular you'd like to sit?" I asked, suddenly feeling even more nervous as I looked around at the limited amount of free seats.

"Here's fine" He replied and the two of us took a seat on either side of the small table.

"Is there anything I get you?" I asked him. Hugh shook his head to which I nodded, although I was now unsure of whether he didn't want food or drink because it wasn't good.

"I guess you're probably wondering why I've called to meet you today?" Hugh started, and once again a gave him a small nod because I seriously had no idea what he'd want to do with me. "Well, Emily, I must say you have incredible potential. Everything from the food and drinks, layout of this cafe, attraction of customers and nicety of your employees is beyond believable. Everything here is just remarkable" He said and the butterflies in my stomach only increased.

"Thank you, but I have to say, I wouldn't be here without Molly. She used to manage this cafe with me as well" I replied with a smile, wanting him to know that this wasn't all my work and I wasn't going to take credit when she'd been just as involved as I had.

"Yes, well I can see that the two of you are unbelievably talented and both of you have made this place just outstanding. You should be very proud" He said, looking around the cafe with a smile and making me do the same. "And, well, that bring me to why I'm here" Hugh added, making my heart beat begin to race once again. 

"I'm all ears" I chuckled nervously, reaching down to my ring and beginning to twist at it as I waited to here what could have possibly brought him here.

"I have a proposition for you" He began.

The nerves radiating through my body were only growing as I thought about what this proposition could be. He could ask me anything from expanding the cafe to even shutting it down, because I know that with the people he knew, he would definitely be able to close this place down if he wanted.

"I want you to continue running this cafe" Hugh said, causing the butterflies and my heart beat to only increase. But I kept myself collected, giving him a small smile as I waited for his proposition that felt like I was taking years to hear. "But I want you to run it in London"

Just a short chapter today, sorry. I had to cut the chapter in two because otherwise it would have been way to long. And also, a cliffhanger is always good :)