chapter twenty-eight

Emily

Staying with Molly and Niall was... ok. I know the last thing I should be doing was complaining because they've both kindly let me stay with them for a week now while I continue to search for an apartment to live in. However, sometimes I find myself wishing that an apartment would appear sooner.

Ellie was adorable, don't get me wrong. She'd inherited Niall's bright blue eyes, although that could change seeing as she was only a baby. She looked even cuter wearing onesies that were only just a bit big for her, given her smaller size. 

But despite being the absolutely adorable and tiny baby she was, she was loud. Especially at night. I had only gotten a total of nine hours of sleep over the past four days because every night, I was woken up by the screaming cries of her.

Molly and Niall had gotten an even less amount of sleep than me and the two of them were constantly up, trying to calm her down every night and day.

But tonight, that wasn't happening. Ellie had been crying for twenty minutes now and I was wide awake, covering my head with my pillow and trying to stop myself from also screaming like Ellie.

After another five minutes of her non stop crying, I got up with a groan, stumbling out of the guest room that was currently filled with a lot of my boxes, and over to the noise, knowing I wouldn't be getting sleep any time soon.

I found Molly pacing in the living room, slightly bouncing on the balls of her feet to calm Ellie down, with Niall was passed out on the couch in what looked like a very uncomfortable position. Although I don't blame him because I could literally fall asleep standing up if I had to.

Molly spun around at the sound of my footsteps. Just like me, she had massive bags under her droopy eyes.

I collapsed down onto one of the other couches as Molly continued to try and calm her screaming baby.

"She just won't stop crying. I've tried feeding her but she's not hungry. And I know for a fact that she's not teething because she's four weeks old. I just- I just don't know why she won't stop" Molly exasperated.

I nodded my head in response although I don't think I was even half listening to what she was saying.

"Come on baby. Mummy and Aunty Em need their sleep. Daddy's already asleep and we would really appreciate if you did too" Molly said in a slightly higher voice than usual, looking down to Ellie in her arms.

Surprisingly, Ellie stopped and for a moment I swore that I could have literally fallen asleep within a second. However our silent and peaceful moment was short lived because Ellie erupted into another scream of cries.

Niall shot up from the even louder noise, his tired eyes searching the dimly lit room before landing on Ellie and Molly.

"Come here baby" Niall said tiredly, standing up and extending his arms for Ellie. As soon as Ellie was in Niall's arms, her screams somehow managed to become even louder, causing me to whimper in disbelief.

"How can someone so tiny, make that much noise?" I asked. Molly shook her head, quickly taking Ellie back and sitting down on the floor as Niall fell back onto the couch again.

Molly too looked on the verge of tears as she desperately tried to calm Ellie down.

"I can't, I'm sorry I just really can't" I said, standing up after another five minutes. 

Molly looked over to me, already knowing what I was thinking. Niall had somehow managed to fall back asleep and I seriously had no idea how.

"It's ok, go" She said, giving me a small smile before turning her attention back to the still screaming baby.