Thirty Eight

"You both get some rest before we leave" Dara said to the girls after running her hand through Marcella's hair

"Okay mom...you should get some rest too"

"I will...thank you" she replied before placing a kiss on Marcella's head

"Azeezat, I can't say I know how confused you are but things will get sorted soon enough and you, your mom and your siblings will be safe"

She nodded nervously. She was tired and she was still in shock. She sat on the bed while Marcella followed her mom to the door. She watched as her mom whispered somethings to her before kissing her quickly and leaving.

     She stood by the door for a while before turning to face her

" hey"
" Marcella..." Azeezat said stuttering

"Listen.... I am sorry... about the accident. I can't apologize for the past. I can't apologize for what my grandfather did. I don't even know what to say about that but I can apologize for the one that I know could have been different. Last night". She say next to Azeezat and placed her hand over hers

"If it was you they would have killed you. They really wanted to kill you"

"I know.... but they wouldn't have. It's a long story"

"Tell me everything"
    Marcella took in a deep breath as she thought about where to begin

"My great Grand father, I meant our Great grandfather you met him today..." Marcella said awkwardly, wondering if she can ever get use to them being related " we call him Grand father. He and MaKayla's Grandfather use to be childhood friends. They fought in the war together. Got into politics together. They were basically best friends. Little by little they built themselves and made names for themselves. Some how things started to seem like a competition between them. But they never acknowledged the existence of this competition but when one person bought one, the other both double. 

MaKaylas Grandfather built his own society and Grandfather decided to build the Islanders society. Islanders grew the other didn't. And that's how the hatred started but they still didn't acknowledge it.

     Then they got married and Grandfather had his first child, a male, second a male then the girls came afterwards and McGregor had no children. By the time grandfather started having grandchildren, he advised the McGregors to adopt a child which he did and then his wife got pregnant and everyone was happy. Then she had a miscarriage"

    Marcella watched as Azeezat's eye lit up like a child that was being read a bed time story. She looked like she was about to blurt out the words "then what happened next"

"The McGregor's had announced the pregnancy and were planing on announcing the miscarriage when Grandfather insisted that they pretend like nothing happened. Seven months later, they had a baby to show as a McGregor and everything went well for a while till the kids grew up and the McGregor's wanted their children to marry into the Adegeshin family to unite the two family's together but Grandfather wouldn't accept it. To him the children had no rights so he refused the marriage proposals to his grandchildren - Aunty Laila and my father. An heir was only for another heir"

"I am confused. What are you saying?" Azeezat said softly

"Makaylas mom and dad are adopted children of the McGregors but nobody knows. Most people know that her dad is adopted but not her mom."

She covered her mouth with her hands.

"That means.... Makayla....maa.... she's a product of incest"

    Marcella almost laughed at Azeezat cluelessness
"No... they aren't siblings biologically"

"No but they were raised together as siblings"

"Yes....but they are only married to hide the truth about MaKayla's birth father"

"Who is her birth father?"
"He is dead. But she doesn't know all these things"

"Wow.... this is just too much. But why would they want to kill you ?"

" old McGregor hates my Grandfather's guts... blames him for the death of his wife. I don't really know the story there. Grandfather also has  his secrets and grandfather was smart enough not to tell him too much. MaKayla's father does whatever his father asks of him. And MaKayla hates me. I am the heir at least to the public or till my brother is old enough  and if something happens to me... Grandfather will loose major shares and his dynasty will be shaken. In our society, heirs are signs of assurance. And once that's out of the picture what's left "

"What's going to happen now?"

"I don't know. But Grandfather doesn't like anything or anyone that threatens his life's work. Friend or foe"  she said watching her. Fear enveloped her eyes as she looked away "but my dad.... I mean our dad... has got things under control"

"For how long?"

"You should get some rest.... you don't have to be afraid anymore. Your mom and your siblings will be safe. and cheer up. You are an Adegeshin.... things like this happen for breakfast"

"I....I ....but" Azeezat stuttered as Marcella walked round the bed to lie down beside her.
     It was a Queen sized bed and there was enough space between them. They laid on each end staring at each other in silence.
    Marcella smiled at her as she thought  about how crazy her day had been.

    "I always thought about having a twin or a  sister not much older than i was but never would I have imagined it happening like this"