Wedding bells and secret spells

It had been weeks since Acaila last saw Heturain, but their frequent letters kept her sane amongst the days of heavy training.

He was always sweet, and caring. He often sent gifts along with the letters, such as fans, hair clips, ribbons and perfumes.

She didn't hardly think about Francis as much as she did before. Out of sight out of mind. The same couldn't be said about Heturain. Out of sight, constantly in mind was a more fitting saying when it came to him. She even caught herself wondering if that was why she had been struggling so much with the tests lately. Despite the increased amount of training, she had made virtually no progress. Reed was still their fathers favorite and Inc's mind was still so sharp that Acaila managed to cut herself on it every time they engaged in conversation.

But although it had been weeks since she had seen Heturain, it had been months since she had seen Oriann and Tavia. They were her half-sisters, but she had hardly offered them a thought. Not until news of Lawrence's proposal reached us. Acaila was obviously over the moon, not only because that meant that she herself would not have to marry him, but also because Heturain was going to be at the wedding.

The bride and groom had been arranging dinners and dances every evening for the past few days, but the real ceremony was later this evening. Acaila had hoped Heturain would show up sooner, even though he had informed her that he was not going to be coming until the actual wedding due to business in his own kingdom. Acaila had still secretly hoped that he was lying so he could surprise her. Turns out he couldn't read her mind.

"Acaila, we are all out here." Inc's voice boomed from the other side of the door. Acaila had been hiding out in her room, lazily sprawled on the bed she had been assigned when she arrived along with her father, Reed and Inc. She had been waiting for her family for only minutes less than an hour. She had been eager to get dressed in case Heturain came early and went looking for her.

Acaila opened the door and saw Tavia, Reed and Inc standing in the corridor. Tavia and Reed had clearly been crying. She could imagine them huddled together in an embrace. Reed, Tavia and Oriann. It would always be the three of them.

The ceremony was short, but the afterparty was to go on far into the night. No expense was to be spared for the crown prince's wedding.

Acaila had yet to see Heturain. She was seated fairly close to the front, and she didn't want to be obvious by turning to look for him in the hundreds of people sitting behind her. But when the ceremony was over and everyone made their way to the ballroom, Acaila was dying to look for Heturain. But seeing as it was Oriann's wedding and Oriann was indeed her sister, Acaila decided it made more sense to scout out Oriann before she went searching for Heturain. Luckily, Reed had his own radar for his biological sisters and within minutes they were all engaged in polite conversation.

"I'm really so happy it worked out between you two." Acaila sighed.

"Thank you, Acaila". Oriann said with a smile that quickly found its way to her eyes. She was glowing and seemed profoundly happy to be married to Lawrence.

Acaila couldn't help but wonder why.

"Congratulations." Reed said as tears spilled out of the corner of his eyes. Reed pulled her into a hug and Octavia embraced them as well.

Acaila, not knowing what to do with herself, turned away from them and was about to head over to the drinks when she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

"Are you alright?"

Acaila flushed and turned back to Reed, Oriann and Tavia. Heturain was indeed there, but he had not been talking to her.

Reed let go of his sisters and grabbed Heturain's elbow. "Quite alright, thank you."

"Teardrops are often the entourage of change." Heturain pointed out as he patted Reed's shoulder.

Heturain formally congratulated Oriann and greeted Tavia before even noticing that Acaila was there, but when his gaze did land on her, his eyes filmed with warmth.

"Heturain.," Acaila said and curtsied. Butterflies were swarming in her stomach.

"My lady," he responded with a bow before kissing her hand.

Acaila looked at him and noticed that he was even more handsome than she had remembered. Long silver hair, sparking eyes, long legs, broad shoulders and the softest looking lips she had ever seen. And he was interested in her.

"What news do you have from the kingdom of Grey?" Reed politely asked, and Heturain turned towards him to respond.

They chatted for a long time. Long enough for Tavia to have gone off to dance, and Oriann to be swept away by Lawrence to indulge in conversation with his relatives.

Heturain barely glanced in her direction. Reed would likely inherit the White kingdom, so Acaila understood that a certain degree of politeness and attention was due. But Heturain could have made contact. An arm around her waist, a comment in her direction or at least eye contact. But it was as if she wasn't even there.

She would never have danced with Prince Kasdahn of the Brown if it had not been for Heturain's lack of interest. She spent most of the evening in Kasdahns company. They danced and talked about the weapons he had gifted her and then danced some more. She wanted Heturain to be jealous and come and sweep her away, but he didn't.

And Acaila hadn't the faintest idea why not.