Chapter 1

I woke up on the morning of my 11th birthday.

I stayed in bed with my eyes closed. I knew what was coming, it was expected, but a mix of dread and anticipation filled me up when I heard the gentle knock at my door.

"Come in" I said, and could hear the door creak open and shuffling of feet as the house elves opened my windows and got my clothes out for the day.
"Thank you." I said to the empty room, ignoring the taboo of thanking the elves. Today was a special day.

A soft grunt accompanied me sitting up and swinging my legs off the edge of the bed. I got dressed in the plain white button down and black dress pants with white stripped square patterns. After getting my socks and shoes on I headed down the big marble staircase and could smell breakfast wafting up towards me. Once I walked into the elongated dining room I could see the Manila letter in the middle of the table, my parents waiting expectantly for me at the other side of the room.
"Mother. Father." I addressed them both as I walked towards them, grabbing the letter from the middle of the table and taking my seat. "Kaneathan, good morning. Are you ready to go into town today? We got your letter at the crack of dawn." Mother asked.
"Yes, I'll be ready once I eat." I respond and start to eat, hearing my father begin to dig into the details of the family business and all of the numbers associated with it. Our family, the Selwyn's, owned one of the wizarding worlds' most powerful companies. One day I was expected to take it over, being the last heir in our family tree. My whole life I had been trained for this job. My goal was to restore our family image. While we had by no means fallen out of the spotlight of the sacred twenty-eight, our dying family tree had no new fresh blood to push it along. I had to completely reinvent myself as someone worth talking about and looking up to. I had been planning this for years.

"Are you ready, sir?" One of the house elves asked me. I refocused my eyes and noticed that my plate was empty. I nodded and let the elf take my plate away. My parents and I went into the living room and grabbed the floo powder.

Making sure to grab a handful, I stepped into the fireplace and articulated "Gringot's". I closed my eyes as I felt the green flames consume me and rush me towards the bank.