One

anonymous asked:
Abandoned homeless golden retriever hybrid Namjoon x Reader. 🥺

****

This was it. Today was the day you were finally going to get close to him.

You've been noticing a hybrid around the park the past few weeks and - while that itself wasn't strange - the lack of any owners around or even a different set of clothes on the hybrid was. He'd been wearing that same pair of torn jeans and long stained blue shirt the entire two weeks you've seen him during your daily walks.

Homeless, then.

You'd felt guilty every time you'd gone home without saying a word to him, so you'd decided to try today.

You'd stopped by the convenience store first and grabbed a few things that you might be able to tempt him with and packed it all up like you were just going on a picnic and maybe got too much for one person. Easy to pull off without offending his pride, you thought.

You walked down the park path, basket swinging on your arm as you look around for the hybrid. He normally hung around the bike path, watching as everyone went past. Sure enough, you caught sight of him in his usual spot, a bench near a clump of giant bushes that you were pretty certain he'd been using as his shelter at night. His eyes were always trained on the front of the path like he was waiting for someone. His blonde hair that matched his ears and tail was looking even dirtier than it had before. But still, always in the same spot looking for someone.

So, most likely abandoned.

You sigh quietly to yourself, hating the faceless person that would treat anyone like that, hybrid or not.

Right next to the blanket is a wide-open patch of grass and that is where you are staging your rescue today. Once you're close enough, you send him a quick polite smile and promptly turn away like you'd barely even noticed him. You set down your basket and open the lid, pulling out your big blanket. You hum to yourself as you lay it out and sit down on it, ruffling around the basket some more.

You sneak a quick peek over at him and almost laugh when you notice his nose twitching like crazy, although he's still facing the main entrance. He's also got an ear aimed right at you.

You pull out one of the lunchboxes you'd picked up, tearing off the plastic top with an exaggerated sniff and sigh of contentment. The beef is still slightly steaming and you shove a bit in your mouth.

"Oh, man. Nothing like a good dosirak and a bit of nature, you know?" you exclaim, looking over at the hybrid right as you take a huge bite of kimbap.

He gulps audibly, sneaking furtive glances at your full cheeks. You swear you even heard his tummy rumble.

"Hey, you allergic to anything? They had a buy one get one free deal, and that is wayyy too much food for me. You can have it if you want," You grin and pull the other bento out of your basket, holding it out to him.

He's finally turned fully towards you, glancing between you and the proffered tray.

"Really?" he finally mumbles, his voice much deeper than you'd anticipated.

"Really. You could even sit here with me and keep me company. I feel silly trying to picnic by myself, but it was just so nice outside I couldn't help myself."

He moves like you're going to change your mind at any second, but he slowly comes down from his bench and sits carefully on the blanket. You hand him the lunchbox, noting how much his hand is trembling. Poor baby.

It's clear that he would love nothing more than to shove his whole face into the food and hoover it up, but he eats carefully. Probably a good thing considering how long it's probably been since he's had such rich food.

You grab one of the big water bottles and set it next to him.

"Something to wash it down."

"Thank you," he says softly, shyly setting the tray on his lap to guzzle down the water greedily.

"You're welcome. Hey, not to be nosy but are you here by yourself?"

His eyes flick back towards the park entrance, then they fall back to the food in his lap.

"Yes."

"I see," you say softly. You sigh and bump his leg with your knee. "You know they aren't coming back, right?"

He visibly droops, his ears falling flat against his head and his tail dragging in the ground. "I know."

You nod and exhale loudly. "Well, I happen to have a spare bedroom. You could stay there in exchange for chores until you figure out what you want to do."

"You don't even know me. Maybe I'm a bad dog and that's why he left me here," he murmurs quietly, a tear building in one of his eyes.

"First of all, you're not a dog. You're a hybrid, meaning you can be treated as human as anyone else. Secondly, even if you were a jackass it's still not okay to leave you on your own like this. It's messed up and I really want to punch them."

His lips tilt in a tiny shy smile at that, like he almost wants to laugh but doesn't think he should.

"What's your name, sweetheart?"

He blushes and tugs his tail to him with a nervous smile. "Namjoon."

"Namjoon, it's nice to meet you. I'm Y/N. There, now we know each other. I live about five minutes away from here. Wanna help me pack this up and we can head home? You can shower and take a nap, then maybe we'll go grab you some clothes because you're too giant for mine."

He nods and helps you pack up, insisting on holding the basket himself.

"Alright," you grin up at him, looping your arm through his. "Let's go home, Namjoon."

The two adorable dimples that appear on his face make everything worth it.

****

As you can see from the notes on top, this was originally an anon prompt for a drabble, but I liked it a lot so I decided I'm going to turn it into a series! Huzzah!