Chapter 3

Hardin's Pov

So I’m walking down the hall to take Trina up on her oh-so-generous offer, when I spot a head of blonde hair over by the lockers.

I stop and watch as Tessa stands on her tiptoes, rifling through her locker.

From my vantage point, I can see the smooth expanse of her flat stomach as her tank top rides up.

All thoughts of my storage room rendezvous forgotten, I slide a dazzling smile on my face and saunter up to her.

“Need some help?” I question amiably, licking my lips at the naked flesh that is exposed to my roving gaze.

She startles slightly, then relaxes as she realizes it’s me. A small smile graces her face and she shakes her head.

“That’s okay, I think I have it under control,” she replies easily, placing a pen in her mouth as she pulls several books out to place in the bag at her feet.

I lean casually against a nearby locker and regard her intensely. “Do you now?”

She glances at me and I note a slight blush creeping up her glorious neck at my perusal.

“Yep, just had a little trouble getting this damn thing open,” she frowns at her locker combination.

I move closer, breathing in the sweet scent of vanilla emanating from her.

“Well, it’s tricky,” I murmur huskily, delighting in the sudden stiffening of her shoulders. “You kind of have to work on it before it gives in.”

The suggestive note of my voice doesn’t go unnoticed as she turns to face me, a glint of amusement in her green eyes.

“Thanks for the tip,” she responds, smiling at me as she pulls her bag across her shoulders. “I’ll see you later, Hardin.”

She starts to walk off and I am once again left staring after her.

The subtle sway of her hips breaks me out of my stupor and I rush to catch up with her.

“So… where you headed?” I ask, walking close enough to her that our arms brush against each other with every step.

She lets out a sigh but doesn’t look my way. “English. With Ms.Soto.”

“What a coincidence,” I answer in surprise. “That’s exactly where I’m going.”

She looks at me then, her eyes skeptical. “Is that a fact?”

I flash her an innocent smile and nod. “Maybe we could sit together. Get to know each other better…”

My open-ended invitation is received with a snort of amusement.

By this time we’ve reached the English hall and I stop in front of Ms. Soto room, holding my arm out to Tessa.

“After you,” I smile, and she walks past without taking my hand.

I immediately follow her to where she has taken up residence and glare at the kid in the seat next to her.

He swallows and gathers his books, slinking away to find a different location.

I smirk and take the now empty seat. Glancing over, I find Tessa staring at me with a bemused expression.

“Is there something on my face?” I query innocently and she bites her lip before looking away.

Before I can start a real conversation, Ms. Soto claps her hands together and gives everyone a fake smile.

“Today I’ll be assigning you partners for your Chaucer Journals that will be due at the end of the month,” she says crisply.