1

3rd Person PoV

Bastard.

Orphan.

Son of a whore.

These were all words Alex heard throughout his entire life. They haunted him, danced in his head, from the moment he first went out on the streets of Nevis with his mother to when he finally departed the island and set sail on a ship that caught fire halfway across the ocean.

He wished they would just go away.

And now they did. He hadn't heard a single word like that pass from someone's lips in his direction since he set foot in New York.

At least, not yet.

Alex POV

I gripped my bag tighter. It was made out of cotton sewn together with tight stitches. It had been my mother's. It was one of the only things I had left of her besides a photo and one of her scarves.

I stared at the common green that I was supposed to walk across to get to my dorm. I glanced down at the paper again, even though I already had all of its written contents memorized.

NAME: Alexander Hamilton

BUILDING: 6

ROOM: 2015

ROOMMATE: Single

My eyes roved across the green and finally settled on a small building with a gold plaque on it that said Building 6. I walked across the green, feeling exposed and vulnerable. I hated that feeling.

There was only one feeling I hated more than being exposed.

Being alone.

I had hoped to find my soulmate at college somewhere, but that seemed kind of useless now that I was a single in a dorm room.

Alone.

I breathed a sigh of relief once I was under the awning of the building, but I wasn't relieved for long. I had no idea where room 2015 was, and didn't really feel like wandering around the building like a lost puppy, looking for my room. I didn't even have a roommate to help me out.

I crumpled up my paper and stuffed it in my bag. Lot of good that thing did me.

Eliza POV

I'm not lost. I never get lost.

At least, when I'm with Angelica, I never get lost. She's a sophomore and knows her way to anything and around everything. That's why I found my dorm, 1980, so quickly this morning. All my stuff was already moved in, my sisters and I had video chatted with our dad to let him know we got here safely, and was walking around campus, looking for lost souls to help to their dorms.

I found one almost immediately, a boy my age standing under the awning by my building. He was crumpling up a piece of paper and stuffing it in a red bag hanging from his shoulder.

"Uh, hi," I said, not wanting to scare him. "Are you lost?"

He turned around, and then I got a good look at his face.

Whoa.

He was just a little taller than me, with dark eyes and dark hair pulled back into a ponytail. I couldn't distinguish the exact color, because I hadn't met my soulmate yet. He had dark bags under his eyes, but other than that he was very handsome.

Very handsome.

I suddenly found myself stuttering. "I-I'm Eliza. D-do you need help f-finding your d-dorm?"

"Actually, yes," he said with a rueful laugh. "I have no idea where room 2015 is."

Suddenly something came to my memory. "Oh, I do! It's just down the hall from mine. I'm Eliza, by the way."

"As you've said. My name is Alexander Hamilton, and there's a million things I haven't done," he said as we started to climb the stairs.

I tilted my head. "Okay."

"Sorry, that was kind of weird."

"It's not a problem. Oh! Here's your dorm. 2015. Do you have a roommate?" I asked, as we stood in front of a door marked 2015.

"No. I guess I just didn't get assigned one," he said, shrugging.

"Oh, okay. Anyway, I'll leave you to unpack. Bye, uh, Alex? Can I call you Alex?" I asked, turning to go.

"Yes," he said, smiling for the first time since I have met him.

Alex POV

Whoa, Eliza was nice. And pretty. Very pretty.

I unpacked my one bag and sighed. Pitiful, but I had a blanket, a photo of my mom, an old laptop, clothes, and toiletries. And that's all I really needed.

After I unpacked, I had no idea what to do next. I didn't really know anybody but Eliza, and it's not like she had invited me over or anything. So I sat on my bed, turned on my laptop, and started to write about her.

I wrote until the sun set in the sky, until my knuckles ached and my fingers felt like lead. There was just so much to write about her that I guess I got overexcited. Wrote too much. Shot off at the mouth. Again.

First chapter done. I know it sucks, but all first chapters kind of suck, right? At least for me. Anyway, it'll get better. Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed -ED

844 Words