6 - I Understood That Reference

Back on the helicarrier, I watched from a distance as a dozen guards escorted Loki to his cell. He caught my eyes but I didn't know what his expression was behind his muzzle. I couldn't stand not watching this part. I wriggled out of Tony's hold and ran down the corridor to follow the mischievous god, ignoring Stark calling my name after me.

My feet skidded on the floor and I was just in time to see the doors of the cell close with Loki inside. I hide and watch the show, determined not to be found so I can watch. Fury stepped up to a control panel to lay down the ground rules.

"In case it's unclear, you try to escape. You so much as scratch that glass," The floor beneath the cage opened to reveal a direct hatch to imminent death. Loki walked to the side and looked down, smiling. "Thirty thousand feet. Straight down in a steel trap. Ant..." He gestures to Loki before gesturing to the panel, "Boot." I snort, giving away the fact that I was watching, causing both adults to glance at me before I retreat, slipping out through the automatic doors and waiting for Nick to come out and yell at me.

After a short while, I hear Fury say his last line. "Well tell me if 'Real Power' wants a magazine." The doors slide open and Fury hesitates, seeing me, before shaking his head and walking away. He was disappointed. I don't know what else he expected, the only reason I was here was to watch the film from the inside and make sure everything happens as it's supposed to. But I let my curiosity get the best of me and I walked back through. I saw Loki, impatiently pacing in his cage.

"It's a bad plan, you know." He looks up at me and gives an innocent grin.

"And what plan would that be?"

"About Banner. Trust me, you'll regret getting on the bad side of him." I wasn't sure if Loki looked smug, angry, or confused.

"If you are not a witch, as you claim, how is it that you know so much?" I roll my eyes.

"Do you not pay attention? I've watched every Marvel movie about as many times as you've read books." This earned a raised eyebrow. He obviously thinks I don't know how many books he's read. But I had fanfiction, so I knew. "I know quite a lot about you actually. As much as the Marvel people allowed us to know. I know that your entire life was basically a lie as Odin allowed you to believe you were actually his child. I know that you love you mother, Frigga, and deep down actually like Thor. But I also know that you are being controlled at the moment. It wasn't in the films but the marvel creators confirmed it. So I'm going to leave and make sure the rest of this movie goes smoothly, and I'll talk to you when Thanos isn't in your head."

I leave with a grim face, turning my back on the astonished face of the raven haired god.

Walking into the main control room, Tony shakes hands with Banner. Ah, the science bros. I walked over to read what was on the monitors, and was about to press a button when my hand was grabbed away and pulled closer to the group by Fury.

"Doctor Banner is here to track the cube. I was hoping you might join him." He says to Tony. Steve joins the conversation as I sit in a seat at the table, disappointed I can't see into the S.H.I.E.L.D files.

"Let's start with that stick of his. It may be magical, but it works an awful lot like a HYDRA weapon." I go to stand up but Nick places a hand on my shoulder and pushes me back into the chair, not looking away from Cap.

"I don't know about that, but it is powered by the cube. And I'd like to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys."

Thor looks at Fury, confused. "Monkeys? I do not understand." And I point at Steve, signaling his line.

"I do! I understood that reference." He looks around proudly and I smile, giving him the thumbs up. The guy needs encouragement. Tony rolls his eyes and turns his gaze to Bruce.

"Shall we play doctor?"

***

"Come on. This isn't fair." Fury ignores me. I was currently sitting in a bland, empty room. It was like a sort of time out.

"I think it's completely fair. A strange girl showing up out of nowhere with extensive knowledge of everyone here, claiming to be from a parallel universe. And you have done nothing but get in the way since you got here." Not fair. You believed Mysterio when he said it.

"Actually, a lot of events wouldn't have happened so far if I wasn't here. Tony wouldn't have seen us on that hill if I didn't wave him down. I stopped Loki from making a quick getaway in the jet. I found the image that showed us where Loki was, in Germany. I was the one who gave you the freaking idea to use the Avengers in the first place! And if it weren't for me, the portal would never have opened." I grin smugly but it drops when I see Fury looking at me with, well, fury.

"You WHAT!" Ah shit.

"Look, I only poked the cube because the portal wasn't opening quickly enough. It was meant to happen anyway." Nick threw his hands up in the air, looked super fed up with me.

"That is just another perfectly good reason why you are in here, rather than out there. Stay here till I decide what to do with you." No. That's not going to work. See, I need to be out there so I can fix broken events.

"Look. I'm sorry, okay. But I need to be where it's happening so I can fix whatever doesn't happen. Otherwise your world will be thrown out of balance and who knows what could happen." He looks at me, not giving me any chance. Time for plan B. I slowly walk up to him, acting innocent. "Please, Fury. I need to save this universe. These movies have made a massive impact on my life. Millions of fans around the world would kill to meet you guys. It's my responsibility to make sure things go the way they're supposed to, and I just want to say sorry." He looks at me confused.

"Sorry for what?" Grinning mischievously, I take one final step.

"Sorry for this." I pushed him away. Caught off guard, he falls over and I make a run for it. Down the maze of halls, avoiding people with Fury not far behind me. Unfortunately I didn't take into account that Fury was a lot fitter than me and I had shorter legs. He quickly caught up and tackled me to the ground. With the arm that isn't underneath him, I start to hit him. I don't have any talent in hand to hand combat, but anywhere I can reach, I make sure to attack. He starts to get tired of my not-so-pathetic whacks and puts me in a headlock, cutting off my air.

"Calm down. I don't want to hurt you, but you need to calm down." I continue to struggle, not letting him get the best of me. Unfortunately that may not have been the best idea. My lungs burn, longing for a gulp of air. "Just relax Y/N. Once you relax, I will let go." Not happening. I had an unfortunate habit of being stubborn at the worst of times. This being one of them. Fury's hold does not weaken as my hands try to pry him off. I feel myself get weak and everything goes fuzzy. Then it all goes black.