Chapter 38

Rowan's fingers tighten around the runestones and she curls the fingers of her other hand. Roots leap out of the ground, wrapping around the Seelie Lord's body before he can move. His reaction is quick, he summons fire in his palms. With his gaze on her, he lowers the fire to the roots wrapped around him. The pain flashes through her instantly and she collapses to the ground.

It disappears a moment later and Rowan groans, lifting her head. He wouldn't have stopped the fire so soon, what happened? Her eyes widen. The Seelie Lord is dripping from head to toe, a wisp of smoke rising from his palm. Kyma is above him, her hand outstretched. The water collects itself and slips around the tree. Rowan can guess that Kyma is preparing to use it again.

The Seelie Lord looks up, searching for Kyma. But from that angle, he can't see her well enough to know that she's there, she'll still just look like a patch of sky. He turns his attention back to Rowan and grins, summoning flame back to his palm. It flickers against the remains of water beading on his skin, but it's strong enough.

He starts to lower his hand to the roots again, right where one is still smouldering. Rowan gulps, bracing herself. But before the flame can make contact, a trickle of water seeps down from the tree above him, dousing the flame. He didn't see Kyma before, and he doesn't look again. He hisses at Rowan instead, his eyes full of threats.

"Stop dousing my flame!"

Rowan shakes her head. She doesn't want to tell him that she can't, because then she'll give Kyma away. But she can't tell him she can but won't because she'll be lying and the pain of the lie will give her away. But there's a way, to neither confirm nor deny but to question instead.

"Why would I stop it? You'll hurt me."

He hisses again. "I'll hurt you more if you don't. Stop the water and release me!"

Rowan's voice hardens. "No."

"You won't stop me, you can't. I'll take you eventually."

Rowan shudders at the threat in his voice. "Why can't I stop you?"

"Because you're not strong enough. You're human."

Rowan lifts her chin. "I'm Aos Sí too."

He grins, baring his teeth. "But not enough. Don't fight me, just give in."

Rowan shakes her head, trembling from fear and from the strain of holding him in place with the roots. Wind swirls against her back, pushing her. It's Astrila, urging her on. Rowan's eyes flicker over to where she knows Astrila is hiding and she can see the faint movement as the other girl nods. Rowan takes a shaky breath and steps forward. Her hand shakes, the runestones clicking against each other.

The Seelie Lord tilts his head, watching her. Rowan raises her hand, darting forward to press the freeze rune against his chest. She moves back again, careful to make sure that it doesn't fall. Her roots loosen slightly, she releases her tight hold on them. But they still belong to the trees in this clearing, and these trees care for her. The roots don't sink back into the ground, the trees hold them in place.

They're prepared to help her again if she needs it. Rowan takes a deep breath. He can't hurt her for now, but they still need to truly stop him. But if they wait just a little bit, could she make him tell her how to break the curse? She inhales sharply. Yes, she has to try. It might not work, but the kelpies deserve that chance at freedom.

"How do I break the curse?"

The Seelie Lord stares at her resolutely. He doesn't speak. She knows he can, the freeze rune doesn't prevent him from speaking. He's just refusing. Rowan tries again.

"How do I break the curse you put on the kelpies?"

He still doesn't say anything and Rowan frowns. The other rune in her hand warms and she glances down at it. The truth rune swirls to the surface and she nods to herself. She knows what to do. She walks back over to the Seelie Lord and presses it against his forehead.

"How do I break the curse?"

He grits his teeth. "I won't tell you. Now let me go!"

It's almost like a ripple runs through him as he pushes against the power of the freeze rune. Rowan stumbles backwards, pulling the truth rune back with her. He's breaking free, and he won't tell her anyway. She gulps. She doesn't know what to do, how does she stop him? She's only ever managed to do it long enough to break free. Astrila's suddenly at Rowan's side, pulling her backwards. She hisses to Rowan, her voice low.

"Come on!"

Rowan whirls, her eyes wide with panic. He can't see Astrila! He'll hurt her! But when Rowan looks, Astrila's still hidden by shadows. She must have slipped over to Rowan's tree and Rowan was close enough for her to grab. Astrila tugs her backwards until she's half in the shadows.

"Ro, listen carefully. We don't have time to find another way. If you want to stop him right now, I have a way. But you might not like it and you'll have to be very careful."
________________________________________________________________________________
What do you think Astrila will have Rowan do? Do you like Kyma helping? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.