++ 1 ++

"Chan."

"..."

"Chris."

"..."

"Christopher!"

"Yes, Y/n?"

"Are they asleep yet?"

"No, but if they were I would tell you, alright?"

Chan calmly keeps the binoculars over his eyes. You slump against your camel, which grunts in response. Huffing out, you look down the sand dunes at the small camp. You can't see much, only their kerosine lamps peaking through the darkness.

It's been hours since you've been spying on the French, waiting for them to let down their guard. You wanted to charge in, fighting them head on, but Chan, being the responsible older brother he is, shot down the idea. You'll admit it's risky and Chan isn't as confident in combat as you are.

Chan sighs as he sets the binoculars down and plops down beside you, "The commander just opened another bottle of whiskey, they'll be up for another half-hour at least."

"I can't believe you dragged me all the way into the middle of the desert, just to wait for some French guys to pass out and then steal their rock."

"It's not a rock it's an amber fossil."

"Same thing."

Instead of correcting you, he just lets out a quiet laugh ruffling your hair.

Just as Chan said, thirty minutes later you spot the lamps going out. It's time to move.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?"

You stop adjusting the saya, holding your katana, to your belt to give him a pointed look, "Do I really need to answer that question?"

"I just don't want you to get hurt-"

"You think I can't take care of myself?"

The ambience around the two of you goes tense with your accusation. Chan looks at you worriedly. That's one thing you hate and love about your brother. He's never mad at you.

He takes a deep sigh, "Just be aware of your surroundings. I almost lost you last time."

You roll your eyes, "Okay fine, I promise to be careful. You're too serious sometimes, you know that?"

He doesn't respond, going back to his view point, smiling behind his binoculars. You pull a black mask over your face only leaving your eyes exposed.

Like a desert snake, you glide down the dune towards the sleeping men. The French explorers had been celebrating for hours, not even a canon could wake them from their drunken slumber. But you promised to be careful, so you must remain silent.

You slither around the tents, snores the only sound for miles. Your eyes scan skillfully looking for the prize-

There it is. The amber fossil.

And it's in the hands of a peacefully sleeping burly man. You walk closer and notice the lieutenant rank on his shoulder. He must be the commanding officer of this platoon.

You could just kill him, but Chan's disappointed face flashes in your mind convincing you otherwise. You're gonna have to get the fossil the hard way.

You lean in closer then immediately flinch from the horrid smell of too much alcohol. You shake the disgust away and hold your breath leaning back in. Very carefully you grasp the object. You look up at the man's face as you start to shimmy it out of his hold. He wheezes, shifting his body and your hand snaps away. His hand completely covers the amber.