Chapter 15: "Te Amo"

I apologise in advance for any hearts I might break with this chapter. It's really sad, especially since it's close to my heart, and I am so sorry, I really am.

Beth tugged at the restraints on her wrists, teeth biting the inside of her cheek as she struggled, trying to slip her hands through the rope that was digging harshly into it.

 Aislynn still laid cold on the ground, a small trickle of blood running from her nose to her mouth. Beth almost heaved at the sight but she didn’t even know if the young woman was alive or not, she had to try and get out, for both of their sakes.

It was a small victory when the rope loosened but she still hadn’t managed to get her wrists out of it.

“Glad ta see you’re awake,” a voice said, a man kneeling down on one knee to look at Beth. “Your poor friend put up a bit of a fight, had to knock her ‘round a couple times to get her to quit screaming. You, however, one slap and you went out like a light.”

She clenched her jaw, casting a nervous glance towards where Aislynn was knocked out on the ground. “Is she dead?”

“Nah, Len hit her on the face with the butt of his gun, probably broke her nose or fractured it. We’ll have a look when she wakes up. For now, we’re going to get acquainted. See, we have a system ‘round here, right? We see something we like, we lay a claim to it. That includes, but is not limited to, food, shelter, clothes and... people. See, I’ve claimed your little friend over here but Len has claim on you. That means that whatever he wants you to do, you’re under contract ta do it. He’s feeling a bit you know that night, you strip off and you’re all his. You’re just a bit of tail ‘round here but you can earn your keep too. Become a valuable part of the group and maybe you’ll become one of the claimers instead of the claimed. As for your friend here, since I’m in charge, rules are a bit different.”

“Different how?”

“She’s already above you,” he explained. “Think of her as the official first-lady from now on. You, you’re the peasant. One of the low-lives. You try to escape, you’ll get off with a warning, maybe a bit of a bash around but her, she tries to escape, we slit her throat like the cattle she is.”

“She’s more valued but the punishments are harsher,” Beth confirmed.

Joe chuckled lightly, a smile curling the side of his lips. “Glad to see you’re a fast learner, can’t say the same for your friend. I warned her, I did. ‘You keep screaming, it’ll be the last time you scream’ but she kept going, gave her a hit to the face, kept going.”

“How many times did you hit her?” she asked, trying to disguise the worry in the tone of her voice.

“’Til she shut up. Can’t have been more than about five punches to the face, even though, got a few more in before she went out. Gotta tell ya, she’s a screamer. She and I will have some fun tonight if she’s like that.”

Beth snarled, baring her teeth. “Don’t you even think about touching her. I will not let that happen-“

“You have no choice, blondie.”

It was a few hours after when Aislynn came to, hand immediately flying to the blood running down her face. She could taste the bitter copper of it in her mouth and with a panicked screech, she spat onto the ground.

“What the f-“

“Aislynn!” Beth gasped. “God, I’m glad to see you.”

“Beth,” she said back quietly, holding a hand to her head as she leant up, making eye-contact with the blonde. “Why are you tied up?”