Chapter 8

Lippo descends from the airship, congratulating and telling us that we only have the Fourth and Fifth Phase left to do. Smiling, he gestures to the island in the distance, "The Fourth Phase will take place over there, on Zevil Island... Now, let us proceed."

Snapping his fingers, a staff member brings out a trolley. "I will need you to draw lots."

The crowd mumbled curiously, "Lots?" Geretta asked no one in particular.

"For what?" Pokkle says.

A shadow falls on Lippo's face as he smiles, "To determine who will hunt and who will be hunted." he raises his hand to indicate the box, "In here are twenty-four numbered cards. In other words, your ID numbers are on the cards." he points his finger up, "Now, I need each of you to draw a card, in the order by which you exited the tower." he extends a hand, "Now, will the first person come forward?"

I calmly walk towards the box, earning looks of surprise from everyone. Sending a peace sign to everyone, I take out a card from the box and stroll back. "Whoa! I didn't know you came first Lia! Amazing!" Gon says brightly.

"Mah... Well I was with Hisoka-"

"Geh, Hisoka?!" Leorio sputters

"-in the Tower so it was a given I managed to come down quickly. He was being creepy so I took first as payback." I stick out my tongue with an indifferent face. At this, everyone sweats, half worried of me being heard by Hisoka and half exasperated.

Leorio pats me, "Well... I'm glad you're okay and in one piece."

"Heeh~ You're pretty strong." Killua comments.

I smile at Leorio and look up in thought, "Hmm~ Maybe." I answer Killua, shrugging.

"Hey, Killua, Lia." Gon says, I made a noise of acknowledgement along with Killua, "He said something about hunting and being hunted. Does that mean we'll be fighting each other?" he asked.

Killua takes his signature relaxed pose, "Yeah, probably." he whistles as he walks to the box to take a card after Kurapika. Killua comes back, and Gon goes to take a card too, returning to us. Leorio and Tonpa take a card.

"Everyone's taken a card?" Lippo states, meeting no voices of disagreement, he continues, "Then, remove the seal from your card." Ripping it off, I see the number #80, it's Siper. Lippo smirks. "The card indicates your target." and with that, people take off their badges and look at each other suspiciously. I saw no need to take off my card, so I left it on me. Lippo continues, saying that the box recorded which card we took and that the objective is to take our target's plate.

One of the Amori brothers was relieved that you didn't have to kill anyone, but it was soon dashed, "Naturally, you're free to use any method you choose to steal the ID cards." Lippo closes his eyes, "Including killing your target and taking the tag off the corpse."

The other brother seems to think otherwise though, stating with a smirk that it was the quickest way. Lippo lifts his hand skywards, explaining that your target's ID tag is worth three points and that your own is the same. Every other tag is worth one point. You need six points to advance to the Final Phase. With that announcement, we were passed onto Khara, who congratulated us for passing the Third Phase. Her cheerful speech was dampened by the tense atmosphere, though.

We were sent off to do whatever on the ship for the two hours. I perch on the railing, gazing out at sea and the sky. The weather is clear, with seagulls squawking in the distance. I close my eyes, the wind carries my hair and the salty scent of the sea. Gon sits next to me, and we are in comfortable silence. Soon, Killua joins us, "Yo." he greeted, before sitting next to Gon. We sit there for a few minutes. "What number did you both draw?" Killua starts.