𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

We had yet to encounter a beast up close

We had yet to encounter a beast up close. I was particularly interested in how 'human' they looked according to Noah's notes. I listened to Noah's and Lakes quiet banter as they discussed the theories as to why the gigantic beast strayed from us as we rode across there territory.

It may have been because they were not designed to be thirsty for merfolk... or maybe it was the power they sensed within us. Choosing to die by that of a sword than water.

Who knew?

In any case, I smiled, as Oliver inputted his thoughts, William vocalizing his agreement. I missed these days. When I was just a girl... a soldier in the military with a secret. When my friends were not my protectors... just my friends.

I shook my head, noticing a tall grey wall appear in my vision as we rode down a hill.

"We're getting closer and closer," William smiled filled with relief. The beasts in our area decreased as we got closer and closer, their attention on the trees or the sky.

The abnormal beasts walked near us but never attacked. Only watched with interest. Lake was agitated at its constant staring.

I only laughed in response, "maybe it has a crush on you," I called over my shoulder.

"As if," she grumbled before her eyes widened, "your majesty."

"What have I told you all? When it's just us, what are you to call me?" I scolded, slowing my horse to ride beside them as an equal.

"Delphine," they muttered collectively, causing me to nod appreciatively.

As we grew closer and closer, I could make out crystals along the cracks of a hole the sun reflecting on it perfectly. There were a few monstrous beasts pawing at the walls, but nothing was more fascinating than a piece of wood that hit the back of what had to have been a 12-meter beast. It collapsed under the pressure, smoke pouring in from its neck.

I pulled the reins of my horse the others following close behind me, as I followed the wall up the sun almost blinding. The shade, however, proved to be my savior as I spotted a few Eldians. The gear around there waist was odd, but I deduced it to be weapons for killing the beasts. Why else would ones so close to the walls be wearing them?

"We've been spotted," Noah was quick to announce, as I heard the screams of an excited female.

There seemed to be words jumbled in with her shout. I was wondering if we'd be let in, but a loud grumble caught my attention as a wooden like elevator came down the wall slowly.

"Your majesty," I turned to William who gestured back, my horse following his unspoken suggestion.

I wondered if the Eldians were that trusting, if they'd noticed the monster's apparent hatred of us or if they were stupid. Hoping it was not the latter, I pulled my horse onto the wood, Oliver, Noah, Lake, and William following my lead.

"I doubt they're easily trusting your majesty," William stated quietly as we moved up, the beasts watching us almost longingly, as we disappeared from there gaze.

"Let us hope our odd differences give them enough leeway to at least listen to us," I commented, "let's be as nonthreatening as possible please," I pulled myself off my horse adjusting my dress. Maybe the gold was too much.

Suddenly I felt nervous. My stomach was in pits, my hands sweaty as I thought of what I could say. Great. A queen who doesn't know what she's doing.

My people must be proud of me.

𝐚/𝐧: i think as i publish each chapter here, i'll delete the chapter from the other book until the authors note is left so all the leaders (i- i hope you guys know i meant readers. i'm not incompetent or anything. i promise.) can just click on the new link or account to continue the book.