Curiosity In The Light

note before we get started all editing was done by HeadphonesChild
also yas i know first chapter is boring but please be patient
___________

Chapter 1
Curiosity In The Light

Roman sat at the table with the others. Patton had made everyone dinner, like he usually did. Logan wasn't working for once, so he could spend time with the family, and Virgil was oddly calm. The space was peaceful, everyone seemingly enjoying each other's company. Roman could feel himself relaxing after his long day as he tuned into the table's conversation.

"Hmm. Interesting. I didn't know much about them; I appreciate you telling me," Logan told Virgil, who rolled his eyes with a small shrug..
"Yeah, well, I kinda figured you would ask me later on anyway," he admitted. Roman raised an eyebrow, a little confused as he attempted to piece the conversation together.
"What are we all talking about here?" Roman asked, sitting up in his chair a little straighter to hear them better.

"Oh, Roman. Virgil was just telling us some information about the Dark Sides," Logan explained vaguely as Virgil looked down, picking at his food absently. He thought it was pretty clear that Roman didn't feel comfortable talking about them, and thought of them as villains and nothing else. However, after Virgil revealed he had become a light side, Roman was more curious and confused about it, than anything else. He still didn't trust Deceit, mind you... But Virgil wasn't that bad, so what did that say about the others? He'd started questioning his feelings on the Dark Sides, wondering if there were others like Virgil that had become Light, or any that actually had good intentions.

Roman looked up. "I was curious about them too..." he admitted to Virgil. This seemed to take the anxious side by surprise.
"Oh..." Virgil mumbled under his breath. He shifted in his seat nervously before looking up at Roman. "Well... what did you want to know?" he asked.

Roman smiled. "Well, I was wondering, naturally, where they come from-" he cut himself off upon hearing the nervous intake of air from Virgil.
"Could we do that question later...?" Virgil mumbled, looking back at his plate. Roman nodded simply.
"Yes, of course! How rude of me. Maybe start with something simple... How come Deceit has scales? I haven't seen much of the other Dark Sides have something like that, and for us it's unusual." Roman gestured around the table. "I mean, you don't have any." Virgil winced, but nodded.

"Yeah, it's... that's complicated. It's more of a rare thing to have. Most of the Others see it as a lucky thing to get, but some of them have feathers or metal parts," Virgil explained.

Logan blinked. "How would a body with metal in it function? Wouldn't it corrode due to rust created from moisture from the air and the body?" He asked.
"Well, we normally do things to prevent that," Virgil explained. "Abstaining from excess physical activity, using fresh water to clean the parts frequently and drying them thoroughly..."

"Oh! Does that mean that if Logan was a Dark Side, he would be a robot?" Patton interjected, joining the conversation suddenly. He was grinning widely, looking excited at the idea. Logan opened his mouth as if to say something about it, but shut it as he started thinking. Virgil began to answer when Patton spoke again. "Oh! Oh! What if I was half animal thingy!?" His voice had raised an octave, showing his excitement. Virgil had to think about it for a moment.

"Well... the Others don't really have allergies, so I guess you could probably be part cat... That suits you," Virgil admitted to him. Patton couldn't seem to help but squeak in joy as he heard that.

Logan just seemed more confused. "How would that even be possible, for us to have allergies and not them? Then again, allergies are just your body reacting poorly to things in your immune system... Virgil, how does that work? Is there something I'm missing?" Logan asked. Virgil just shrugged.
"They probably told me, but I forgot," Virgil admitted.

"Who do you think told you? I'd like to speak with them myself and learn more about the Dark Sides." Logan seemed excited at the prospect.
Suddenly, Roman put his hand up to stop the conversation. "Wait," he said, making everyone stop talking and look at Roman.
"Yeah? What is it, Sir Sing-a-Lot?" Virgil asked. His tone verged on annoyed at having been interrupted.

"I've been thinking, and I... well, I want to see the Dark Sides myself, instead of having you explain them to me- and it's not that I don't trust you! I've just... I was so wrong about you and I don't want to be wrong again. So... I want to see them for myself." Roman admitted, looking down.
"Hmm..." Logan hummed in consideration. "That's actually a fairly good idea, Roman. I think I just might join you. I'm rather intrigued as to how the Dark Palace works," he admitted. He took another bite of his dinner, the table silent around him, the shock of him agreeing with Roman evident on everyone's face. Logan looked up, and narrowed his eyes. "What?"

Virgil seemed to be on edge. "I'm not sure... if that's a good idea..." Virgil said in a slight mumble.He was picking at his food again. Logan raised an eyebrow.
"Oh? Why's that?" Logan asked.
"Nothing!" Virgil took a shaky breath. "It's just... there are a lot of them, and I'm not sure if you're all ready to see... well... the whole Dark Side thing..." he admitted to them as he moved his food around on his plate with his fork. He was nervous about what the others would see, and what they would think of the Dark Palace. He was especially worried that it would make them hate him, but he didn't have the nerve to admit that.

Patton looked at him with a small smile. "Virgil, you were one of them. We want to learn about you and understand your past with them," Patton's voice was kind and reassuring.
Roman nodded, agreeing with Patton before speaking. "I don't want to do to the others what I did to you," he said. His voice held an undertone of guilt.

Logan gave a small smile, which meant a lot coming from him. "I would like to know more about the Dark Sides, so if I come across one I don't know, I'll have the knowledge to be ready for anything that happens and have the ability to protect Thomas," he explained.
Virgil sighed. "It's going to take you a long time to learn everything about them... I mean, there's a lot more of them then there are Light Sides," he admitted quietly, thinking that would dissuade them. The others were visibly disappointed. They seemed to really want to learn more about Virgil. Virgil took a shaky breath in an attempt to calm his nerves. "But... okay. It'll take a while, but if that's what makes you happy..." The rest perked up a bit.

"Aw, thanks kiddo! We know your past isn't exactly the best, but we want to make you comfortable, and we'll do whatever we can to make that happen." Patton's voice was full of honesty and emotion.
Virgil nodded with a weak smile. 'Maybe this won't be so bad...' he thought to himself. Logan looked over at Virgil.
"I believe that the best process to learn about them would be to visit each Dark Side one by one and attempt to see their rooms. It may be slow going, but all of our curiosities about the Dark Sides will be met," Logan thought aloud. Virgil nodded.

"That's going to take a while, but... I'm willing to give it a shot, I guess..." Virgil said. "But before we go, could we finish dinner? I haven't gotten to eat much of anything yet..." he admitted.

Patton nodded, a guilty smile on his face. "Of course, kiddo. Eat up. I wouldn't want you starving now." Virgil gave a grateful smile, taking a small bite of his food and relaxing. He was relieved they weren't going yet. He didn't think he could handle that.

The others continued talking as they normally would during dinner. Roman dramatically retold a story of him defeating another dragon, with Patton fretting over him getting hurt. Logan rambled about a book he was reading that interested Virgil. It was nice, but Virgil knew it wouldn't last. After all, they were going into the Dark Palace. In a way, he knew they needed this. That he needed this. It would be better if they learned everything they could about the Others, sooner than later.