Chapter 3

Inside the gym of the arena, large ball flies through the air; the fire ferrets are tossing around a ball, training. In the corner sat Violet, sleeping against the wall. She was woken up by Mako shaking her.

"hm?" she rubs her eye

"Training's done, go home with your sister" he says

"Why does everyone look so depressed?" Violet asks as she stretches

"We need thirty thousand yuans for the tournament" Korra answers

"...and how much is that?" Violet questions and stands up

"Just don't worry about it" Mako sighs "I'll figure something out, I always do" he walks out

"Come on sis" Korra says walking out

Violet looks over at a pouting Bolin, she walks over to him "Bolin, what's wrong?"

"I've been training Pabu to do circus tricks and I wanted to earn money for the championship by putting on a little show" Bolin says then looks upset "but Korra and Mako didn't take me seriously"

"Really Pabu can do tricks?" Violet asks excitingly

"uh yeah" Bolin smiles

"let's do it, me and Echo will come with you" Violet says excitingly

"yes!" Bolin cheers jumping up "but wait, what about your Switch training?"

"..well" Violet smiles "I can skip today"

Bolin smiles wider

-

The two now are sitting in front of Fire Lord Zuko's statue.

"Come one, come all" Bolin has a small bridge set up. He is wearing a flashy jacket and a fake mustache, while Pabu is standing on a little can, wearing a bright lime green jacket. He excitedly speaks to the passersby while making wide motions with his arms 

"See Pabu the fantastic fire ferret as he crosses the Ladder of Peril" he gasps and whispers dramaticallyv "upside down!" pabu continues to clean himself by licking his paws "Psst, psst"

The moment Bolin signals Pabu, the ferret jumps on the plank and starts walking across it on his front paws. Bolin softly cheers him on "Big finish, buddy. Stick the landing" Pabu flips off and lands on one front paw "Ta da!"

Someone throws a coin in Bolin's cup "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen! You are too kind! Seriously, too kind! You can come back here and put money right in this-" he shakes his cup, and his excitement vanishes as he hears that there is little money inside it "Okay, that's fine, that's fine... One yuan down, 29,999 to go"

"I thought it was cute" Violet encourages smiling

Echo jumps down from her shoulder and stands next to Pabu, the two watch Echo try to mimic what the fire ferret just did but lost it's balance and fell. Bolin and Violet laugh.

"Echo leave the tricks to Pabu" Bolin pets Echo's head

The baby dragon just puffs out it's chest and tries again. A red car pulls up to them, the two look up. 

The driver rolls down the window "Hey, Bolin. Is that you?"

"Oh, hey there, Shady Shin" Bolin greets nervously then whispers to Violet "be careful of this guy"

Violet nod

Shady Shin gets out of his car and walks toward Bolin "Heard you're a big time pro-bending player now. Not bad"

Bolin scratches his head "Uh, thanks"

"Is this your girlfriend?" Shady Shin asks looking at Violet "not bad, very pretty"