Chapter 1: Just Another Day

"Wait here," Archard said, offering a smile. "I'll be right back."

"Why can't I come in too?" Arms crossed, Adahlia only frowned.

"You don't look all that great, and you didn't even brush your hair," he replied, about to step outside. "Just going to get a few things."

"Fine, just be quick please," she insisted.

"Okay," he agreed, then continued in his progress of leaving. "Wait... where are the keys?"

Adahlia only smiled and held them up. "Here you go."

"Thank you," he said, reaching out for it.

"Nope. You gotta catch me," she ran with the keys, laughing as her husband chased her around the yard. Eventually, they both ran out of breath.

"Okay, get in," he said, panting. She slowly got in and gave him the keys.

The drive to Walmart felt long to Archard, the man desperate to escape the vehicle. All the while, his wife was giggling at him; it was times like these when he wondered why he even married her in the first place. After a sharp breath, he pulled into the parking lot, and left, his wife following after him.

"I won," she said snidely, giving him a gentle nudge.

"Yeah, whatever. Let's just get inside. My superior back has been killing me all morning. It's not the medial part; but more lateral." He flashed her a grin when she scoffed. "What? Did you not take Biology?"

"I did, just didn't pay attention," she answered, catching up to him. "You've always been a quick learner, so don't mind me for not being the sponge you are."

"Okay, but stop sulking about your raisin-sized brain," he said, smiling. He loved to prove he could out-smart her, then he stopped walking and grabbed her arm then started scolding her. "You keep saying I have a sponge-brain, but I just

spend more time studying and paying attention. You have the same sized brain. You must understand that it's not bad to-"

"Stop! You are giving me a headache. I can't listen to you anymore," she said, pulling her hands away, putting them in her pockets and filling each of her movements with irritation. These moments make her wonder 'Why did I ever marry him?'

With a heavy sigh, he walked into the store, his face sour. "My back, Adahlia. I've got better days, no doubt. Let's just find the back scratcher!"

"I'm younger than you, old man. I'll find it. You just sit your silly-self down," she said, nodding at a nearby chair.

Archard frowned, but obeyed. Taking a seat, he sat back and observed.

"Udele, you should really do the school supply shopping without me. You are 17. Oh, I remember when you were only 3 going to school the first time," the woman smiled, handed her money and walked away.

"Okay," she said, "but Mom-" The woman didn't hear her and was already in a car.

"Well okay, then," she said quietly. "I guess I am doing the shopping."

"Ah yes!" said Archard. "The joy of going back to school."

"Hey," said a boy around her age. "Back to school shopping, right?"

"Yeah," she said, laughing awkwardly.

"What grade are you in?" he asked.

"Oh um... " She paused to think. "I am in 10th."

"Oh really?" he asked. "I am too. What is your name?"

Udele always hated that question. She had a very unique name and had to say it louder than her normal voice. "U-Udele," she said.