Chapter 3: Escape

"We will get out somehow," insisted Merton. Then Udele realized he was so different, in fact kinder, while talking to her. Why not the others?

"Oh okay," she muttered, then she realized that people pray to God. Her dad was a Christian and tried to get them to go to church. Her mom divorced him, because no matter what happened he always went to church, when things got tough he prayed, and he was a God-fearing person. "Wait maybe we should just-" her voice faded.

"Do you have a plan?" asked the giant man. They forgot he was even there.

"Well, kind of..." she said.

"What is it?" Archard asked.

"Well," she paused and swallowed hard. "To pray."

Archard gave her a look as if she belonged in a mental hospital then soon later warmed up to the idea. "Well okay then."

"Your christian?" asked Adahlia surprised.

"Well, my dad was Christian," Udele said.

"Pray?" asked the giant. "Jone doesn't pray!" He laughed at the idea.

The girl sat there, embarrassed she said anything. Even Merton gave her a cold stare. Everyone was wondering 'Why pray?' but it was worth a shot, right? I mean the earth is so complicated. How could it happen by chance? It was what everyone believed, but what if there was more than that. Her dad could have been right.

"Jone doesn't pray," he repeated, stern. "He won't."

"I may not be Christian either, Jone, or whatever your name is," Archard said, shifting on his feet, "but it's worth a try. We have no other ideas, anyhow." When the giant sighed in defeat, he faced Udele. "Go ahead. Pray."

Udele gave a reluctant nod before obeying. As she did so, Jone would occasionally scoff, but she paid it no mind; fighting wasn't worth it. After concluding the prayer, she opened her eyes and returned Archard's smile. The others, however, only frowned.

"I-I didn't know you were a Christian," Merton muttered after a long pause, but straightened when he earned her attention. "Sorry, it's fine. That's okay."

"No, I said that my father was Christian," she replied, "but, as Archard agreed, it's worth a try." Udele nudged him gently, and grinned when he chuckled.

"You know, I used to be mormon," Merton said, suddenly looking away.

Her heart dropped. "Really?"

"No." He laughed once more and found his feet. "I don't really have a religion."

Udele stood up as well, and wrapped an arm over his shoulder. "Well, we just prayed, so let's see if anything happens."

"Yeah." His tone was hesitant, but the judgement was gone. "We'll see."

"Just kiss, already," Jone cried, throwing his hands in the air. "Get it over with."

Archard tapped him on the shoulder, frowning. "They haven't even known each other for a week."

The man huffed, but lowered himself against a wall. "Sure don't look like it."

After a delicate pause, Udele dismissed her arm from Merton, embarrassed. "It's not what it looks like."

"Archy," Adahlia began, taking a sharp breath, "you said we were gonna get out and it's been close to a week. We don't even know what they want with us! Get us out, will you?" She trapped him in her gaze, and grabbed handfuls of his shirt. "Today. It has to be today. I can't take this anymore."

"Honey, you know that I told you to wait home, remember? I wish you'd take some responsibility."

"Are you two, like, married or something?" Jone questioned, flashing them a glare.

"Yes, we are," Archard answered, tilting his head. "Why? What's the problem?"

"Just that I'm surrounded by couples. And I've never had any luck." He gave a dry chuckle. "Whatever, carry on. Forget I'm here."

"I have a question," Merton said after a long moment, studying the lovers. "How are you two even together? All you do is fight. Plus, Archard, you look neat and everything, but your wife... she looks like a slob! You're complete opposites."

They looked at each other. "Well, I think Adahlia is a great wife. She may be different, but she is still a good wife," argued Archard.

"He is right, Archard," Adahlia agreed as if he never said anything first. "How are we even together? I mean you are so different from me."

"There is nothing wrong with that..." Archard insisted, shaken up by her comment.

"See? You can't even agree on if you should be together or not!" Merton yelled.

The giant man smiled. "I love watching couples break up."

Meanwhile, Udele sat in the corner with her arms crossed, staring at them.

After a long moment, Archard quickly shook his head and gave his wife a sideways glance. "How long, honey? How long were you thinking of giving me the divorce papers?" His words were low and edgy. "When were you going to tell me? Or were you just going to up and leave one day without a goodbye? How could-"

"Do you ever get tired of listening to yourself talk," Adahlia asked, her eyes boring into his. She stepped forward, angry. "I bet everyone here agrees. Right?" She looked around. "Right?"

"Actually," Udele said gently, "I'm on his side. Over these... many days, I have seen a theme with you two. While your husband always tries to make you feel better, you only push him anyway." She offered the woman a small smile, but it was anything but returned.

In disbelief, Adahlia turned away and ran a hand down her face. "Is... everyone against me?" When they remained silent, she slowly put her thumb in mouth.

No one said a word.

It would be a few hours before they received a meal and a few more before anyone dared to speak.

"So, about that plan..." Udele said, flashing a look around the room.

"I'm still thinking," Archard answered, pausing, "but I'll tell you by tonight. Adahlia's right; it's been far too long."

"Unless, you have a plan, Merton?" Udele met his gaze and saw hesitance. "Well, what about you, Jone?"

"Me?" he scoffed. "I just assumed everyone forgot that I was even here. I'm just tossed around all the time." He threw a stray rock, his face blank. "I always am."

"I know," said Udele. "Someone pretends they are sick. It always worked in school."

"Okay, but who?" asked Archard.

After a long pause someone spoke.

"I will," said Jone. So that he did. When the boy came over, he pretended he was choking on his bread. The boy ran to get help and, indeed, he succeeded. Yet that was a pretty bad idea. They gave him a shot, dragged him out and then shut the cell. The group watched as they dragged him away. Waiting until he was upstairs and out of sight.

"That was a bad idea," Archard said, feeling bad for Jone.

"Not really." His wife gave a mischievous smile, spinning the keys around her thin fingers.

"I hope he is okay," said Udele.

Adahlia turned the keys to the cell slowly.

They looked around and realized the place was worse than they thought.

Hey, all! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter. Oh, and one more thing: we update this story every Saturday. 

We both wish you a wonderful day and God bless <33

-Ashpoint