Chapter 1: Moving Pictures

TW: light gore, light language

Dear Joey,

It's been quite a while since we saw each other. 30 years slips away quickly, doesn't it? If you're back in town, come by and visit the old workshop. There's something I need to show you.

Your best pal,

Henry Stein

"Okay Henry, I'm here. Let's see if we can find what you wanted me to see."

Joey took a steeling breath and opened the front door to the studio. As he looked around the front hallway and lobby of the decaying studio, he saw many posters for old cartoons. The studio was practically falling to pieces; holes in the walls, boards over doors, and...ink dripping from the ceiling? Now there's something you don't see everyday. A projector was still flickering an empty light onto the wall (how was electricity still flowing through the building?), and dust covered nearly every single surface. As Joey wandered about the studio, he eventually came to a desk at the end of a hallway. A sketch with a "NO" was still lying on the desk.

"Hey, here's my old desk. Man, I wasted so much time in this chair."

As Joey went down the opposite hallway, he took a step back and did a double take. On the wall, "DREAMS COME TRUE" was scrawled in a strange black liquid-ink, probably (it wouldn't surprise him). Rather hesitantly, Joey walked further down the hall. A sign hung from the ceiling reading "INK MACHINE". Was that the source of the ink all over the studio? Joey could only find out by plunging forward.

As he walked into the room at the end of the hallway, Joey was practically in awe at the size of the room. How did he miss this when he was working here? He was currently on a balcony overlooking what Joey could only assume was a storage room. He could only assume, however, because of the large, empty, seemingly bottomless hole in the center of the room, with chains hanging from the ceiling and descending into the hole. Next to Joey was an unpowered lever and a case for two power cells. After looking around the balcony, he found the two power cells and inserted them into the case.

"Let's see what you're hiding down there, old friend."

As Joey pulled the lever downward, the chains shifted and lifted, dust shaking off as screeching filled the room as ancient machinery was brought to life. A strange machine slowly rose from the hole. It stopped in the center of the hole, plumes of smoke jetting out from the base.

Joey knew. This was the Ink Machine.

"Okay, how do I get this to work?"

As he gazed down at the machine, looking for a clue, he noticed a note taped to the lever. "Break room. Six items. Valve control-theater. Main power-break room. Ink Machine." Joey grabbed the note and tucked it into his pocket as he delved deeper into the studio.

*le timeskip brought to you by bacon soup*

It was almost done. Joey had found the six items specified in the note, and put them in six strange pillars in the break room. Now he just needed to find the theater. He hadn't checked the other path that he hadn't came from; maybe it was down there? As he turned the corner, Joey practically froze before running forward.

"My God, man, what the hell did you do?"

In the center of the room was a toon spider, strapped spread-eagle on the board. Instead of the usual toon eyes that were sported by this character, the eyes were each an X. The chest of the toon was practically ripped open, and despite that, a sickeningly cheerful smile was still plastered on the face.

 The chest of the toon was practically ripped open, and despite that, a sickeningly cheerful smile was still plastered on the face