Part 9

My phone rang and Calhoun asked whether or not I was ready for university. He'd been calling frequently ever since the first day was nearing.

I didn't really like to interact with people. Normally they'd be better off not being aquinted with me. I'd be a nuisance with my quiet personality and empty eyes.

"Are you overthinking again?"

"No." My overthinking never troubled me to the point of feeling horrid. It was incorporated with my emotions already and not feeling anxious made me more anxious.

My train of thought was beginning to give me a headache.

"Should we go for Spicey foood tomorrow?"

"I don't like spicy food that much but if you want to go you're welcome to." Calhoun laughed at the other end.

"I can't wait to see you. You know we've known each other for more than a month?" He'd been counting the days? This was something new to me. Everyday Calhoun called me without fail as if he was trying to convince me that he was a good person.

I didn't want him to exhaust himself when thinking about my view on whether he could be trusted or not. I had no right to judge him on his past, nor present situations. Why was he trying to impress me so much? It was not usual to get this much attention from anyone.

"It's been that long?" It felt as if we'd met yesterday. Calhoun seemed very on edge and I assumed it was because of the one guy who always looked at me with distaste. I couldn't blame him, I came unannounced, and was in fact a sight for sore eyes.

"I- I have to go." I heard furious screaming coming from the phone and it made me nervous.

"Wait c-" I sat down on my bed and stared at my phone with widened orbs. My heart beat excelerated as I dialed his number hesitantly. Bothering him was the last thing on my mind but I was worried. What if it were a burglary?

It went straight to voicemail. Surely he didn't turn his cellphone off?

"Eli honey! Are you coming?" Emily and Daniel had planned a picnic today with our neighbour's that I knew nothing of. I did not want to take part of it at first, but Emily had not spoken to anyone other than me and Daniel for a few weeks now.

She seemed excited and the bubble surrounding her seemed more radiant than usual, I didn't dare ruin it. Emily looked fresh with a pair skinny jeans and a long sleeved knitted red jersey accompanied with some sneakers. She gripped her jacket and Daniel looked haggard as he dragged all the things Emily gave him.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

Both Emily and Daniel stared at me as if they'd seen a ghost.

"My boy, you're going to draw in all the lad-" Emily hit his shoulder with a lionesses gaze, fierce and powerful.

"I'm not ready to let him go just yet Daniel!" I giggled at their banter as I walked after them. I placed a emerald green wool cap over my head whilst biting my lip.

The phone call bothered me but I refused to flood his phone with text messages. Maybe it was just none of my business.

***

The picnic I pictured was more down to earth than this, literally.

My mouth widened as I saw a large circular table filled with all kinds of fruit, vegatbales, chicken etc. You name it, it was there.

Next to that was a rectangular table, where the Taylor family sat awaiting our arrival. All of this was covered by a large white tent.

The minute we entered I felt as if I didn't belong. The air seemed as if it were of royalty.

We sat down and greeted. Their daughter who looked to be about the same age as me was sitting opposite me. She had red hair, blue eyes and freckles across her cheeks. She was surely someone that everyone wanted and wanted to be.

There was no fault in the way she ate, spoke or held herself up and she was rather intimidating.

Her parents kept looking at me even though I could see they didn't want to make it obvious. They had thousands, if not millions of questions roaming in their brains.

I couldn't blame them. Another Saffire appearing out of nowhere seemed ridiculous even to me.

"Eli looks alot like you Daniel." Mrs Taylor stated as she looked at me with a smile that had intentions behind them. Whether they were good or bad I was unsure.

"I was a model back in the day." Daniel boasted whilst Emily burst out laughing.

Once we finished eating the adults decided to sit down somewhere else for some wine whilst I stayed with their daughter Wendy.

"You do know ever since my mother found out about your existence that she wants me to marry you in the future." Surely Daniel and Emily did not know about this ordeal.

Why would Mrs Taylor even plant the idea in Wendy's mind? Was it because Daniel and Emily were rich? If so their money was not mine to have. I wasn't deserving of any penny.

"Don't worry though. I'm not planning on marrying a stranger even if they look as good as you." Wendy had a bold exterior. Her personality came off as hard as rock, and no one other than God himself could penetrate that wall of hers. She was an interesting character. Although she was beautiful and got whatever she wanted, she seemed empty, just like me.

"I like you. Let's be friends."
Wendy said putting a hand in front of her, with a small smile on her face.