Chapter 8 : You Changed My Tune

It was dark outside when Ella noticed that it was time to close the store, she had stayed overtime with some new records that had arrived, she finished checking and arranging those when she saw a strange man outside, Rick had offered to pick her up at 8:30, she had told him earlier that day when he visited her that she would have to work after 7, it was already 9 pm, and not a sign of Rick or his van, so she decided to call John, so he could pick her up.

"John, could you please come to the store?"

"Why? Are you going to give me a record?"

"I told you before, I work here, but I don't own the place,"

"Spoilsport , then no."

"Please John, there is a strange man in front of the street," she begged

"Just kick 'im in the goolies, you'll be fine," he almost hung the phone up.

"John!" She looked outside "He is looking at me,"

"Aye, someone's got a fan," he laughed

"This is not a joke, please come and pick me up," she insisted

"I'm busy, listening to the radio, you should listen to it, there's a Buddy Holly special and..."

"JOHN!" she shouted.

"All right, I'll tell Paul to go."

"Not PAUL, I want YOU to come pick me up! John?" but it was too late she heard John telling him to go, she also heard when Paul refused at first, but John said something about Paul owing him a favor.

"He'll be there, bye luv,"

"John? No , no, no please tell him..... John?" He already had hung the phone up.

She waited for several many minutes more, the man was still there, she was reading a magazine trying not to think about it, but every time she looked at the window she could see the man standing pretending to read a newspaper.

Then she saw him crossing the street, she froze when he saw he was near the door, she pretended to call someone, she went behind a shelf.

Paul saw the man trying to open the door, he shouted at him, "Hey, what is it? The store is closed. "

The man saw him, he stopped attempting to open the store.

"I was just leaving,"

Paul wasn't sure whether he was about to punch him or to escape, but said something between his teeth, the few he had left, and simply turned around the corner, leaving the place.

"If I see you again near here, I'll call a bobby," Paul looked through the window, he saw Ella hiding, he knocked. "Ella, open up!"

That voice, that lovely voice, she saw Paul outside. She unlocked the door and he came in "Is he gone?" she asked.

He nodded, "He frightened you, did he tell you something?" He softly patted her hand.

She fearfully cleared her throat "Nothing, but he wouldn't leave. I didn't know what I-- I-, "

Paul interrupted her, "He's gone, don't think about that, I'm here."

She let out a relief sigh.

"Have you been returning home all by yourself?" he asked

"No, with Lizzy, but this time I had to stay some extra hours so she left, I asked Rick to come here at eight, but I don't know why he didn't, have you seen him?"