Spencer Reid x Reader

The first thing I can notice is the darkness. It's impenetrable. Unbreakable. Impermeable. Not even the moon is out tonight, not a single star shines down from above. Complete and utter darkness.

Tree branches seem to come out of nowhere in the inky blackness and the twigs stab into my foot as I run through the forest. I can't hear the footsteps behind me anymore, but I don't count it as a blessing. There's no way I'd ever have been able to outrun him on a good day, so there's no way I should be able to do it now. I keep running and the fatigue in my joints gets worse, but that's what he wants. He wants me to be too tired to fight back when he does get me so it's easier for him. I keep running.

Suddenly, the dirt and twigs and rocks turns into rough pavement. I look around, thankful for the streetlamp that lights up the area. I gaze down the ends of the road cautiously, looking for any cars before I sprint to the other side of the street and into the trees. I can't take the risk of getting into a car with him unknowingly.

I follow that street from the woods, every little noise making me jump. I don't worry though. The crickets and cicadas are still making noise, there's nothing dangerous around me. Tree branches rustle from high above me and I pause until I hear the soft cooing of an owl that's flying off. Somewhere a dog barks and my eyes go wide. Voices yell out and the adrenaline starts to pump through my body.

For some reason though, my body feels frozen to the spot. I can only shudder and gasp and cry silently as I listen to the voices and the dogs get closer. The cicadas stop.

I take off running as the light from a flashlight shines on me, and the voices yell out to other voices and me. I run as fast as I can, paying no mind to the twigs under my feet, or the intense exhaustion plaguing my brain, telling me to give up. Nor the tree branches that continue to smack me in the face. I go further into the forest, zigzagging through the trees, a little visibility now that the sun is starting to come up. I've been running all night.

The birds fly away frantically as I run through the trees, the wildlife scurrying off away from the ragged girl coming towards them. Suddenly, there's a weight pressing against me and I'm knocked to the ground.

I scream out, kicking and clawing at the person trying to restrain my hands and legs. Six years of martial arts out the window, with the only thought in my mind survival.

"Rose, stop! It's me, Morgan." The man on top of me says and I open my eyes, my struggling ceasing as I see that it is indeed Morgan and not the man that's held me captive for the past... however long it's been.

I cry openly now. Loud sobs that echo in the forest. Morgan sits me up and I cling to his vest like a baby koala holds onto its mother. Like the world is a scary place for a child and I need someone to protect me from it. It's a stupid idea, but I can't help compare myself. Six years of self defense, almost twice that in FBI experience.

"I found her." He whispers into a mic, and I grip him tighter.

His arms wrap around me and he picks me up and carries me out of the forest. We meet the others out on the road and I wince at the brightness of the sun, burying my face into Morgan's chest to shield my eyes.

He sets me down on the bed that's sitting outside the ambulance and I grip on to his hand before he can get the chance to leave.

"D-" My voice cuts out and my throat scratches painfully.

Morgan must understand what I was going to say because I only get a nod in response before he climbs up into the ambulance with me.

The rest of the team gazes in with concern and sadness etched onto their faces. I avoid looking at them. Most of what happened to me was for them so I can't fault them on their emotions right now. But I don't want them to pity me. I don't want them to wish it could have been someone else.