Chapter 1

Victor and I have been best friends since we were just 5 years old. I still remember the day we met like it was yesterday. I vividly remember it was the first day of school and a small pale boy with silky black hair came in crying.
"Mum! Don't leave me! I don't want you to go! I don't want to stay here!" The kid pulled at the end of his mother's dress. She looked desperate to leave as she didn't want her child causing a scene.
"Victor! You will do as I say. Stay here and I will be back by the end of the day," she said in a stern voice. I stared then looked at the kids next to me. They were snickering, but I was confused as to what was so funny. I turned around and saw Victor gazing helplessly at his mom as she walked away, tears swarming his face. The teacher carelessly pushed him inside. Victor looked around the class and I waved at him to sit next to me. He was a little surprised but came my way. He slumped into his chair staring at the table.
"Hello! I'm y/n, what's your name?" I asked oblivious to the situation. I remembered my parents teaching me to introduce myself to anyone I found interesting, but I sensed it was a bad time. Victor was silently weeping, his hands covering his face. I didn't know what to do. "Are you okay?"
"No," he answered simply.
"Oh."
"My mum just left me here by myself. I don't know anyone and I want to go home," Victor sobbed. The teacher began to talk a little bit about herself to us, but I had too much on my hands at the moment.
To comfort him I added, "Well, you're not by yourself...you know me." Victor looked up at me and I got a closer look at his face. His eyes were puffy and his tears stained his face, but he had a hopeful expression. "Do you want to be friends?" I asked.
"Sure!" he completely stopped crying. Wow, that was awfully fast, I thought looking back. I then remembered a few years later when we were 13. This was the peak of our friendship. We had all of our classes together. We were partners in everything and straight A students, yet we loved to make fun of the teachers behind their back. We also walked home together everyday. We lived just a few houses apart and we would be together 24/7. Our parents were on the strict side, so we liked to sketch or chat about our crushes in the woods. The only time we would go to his house was when we played the piano together, and the only time we would go to my house was when my mom cooked his favorite meal, roast beef with trifle as dessert. Yet somehow he managed to stay skinny. I giggled to myself as I remember mocking him when he got taller, his voice lower, and his hair messier. I miss those times. As we got older, we started drifting apart. We had careers to think about, and the rest of our lives to deal with. It started to feel weird to be friends with a man, and have no love interest for him. My parents would tell me to stop talking to him because he would get in the way unless I were to marry him. I've never thought of marrying Victor before, or even loving him for that matter. But now that I think about it...do I have a thing for him?