Chapter Five - A Disorganized Salad

Kyoko's stirring pulse lead her quickly away from the library in a retreat. Truly, she hadn't been very hungry, but involuntarily her legs started moving as a flight response. She proceeded down the long halls and eventually entered the cafeteria where her eyes found Hina and Sakura, who were both scarfing down big bottles of energy drinks. They were dripping with sweat; presumably from some workout, they must have done together. Then, from the back kitchen, the door slightly tipped open revealing the tiny Chihiro who reluctantly moved to where the two other girls were sitting.

     Kyoko thought it was quite kind of the two athletic girls to take on Chihiro as their somewhat "apprentice". While it was off-track thinking considering the killing game, Kyoko honestly had no place to judge. She, in fact also had a bit of a distraction going on too. Though, she preferred not to think of it that way. But of course, she cannot live in denial. Eventually, she has to admit to herself that what she's doing is not helpful at all to her situation. But she cannot bear the thought of losing her only break from the chaos. The only glimmer of hope drowning in a pool of despair.

     She shook the thought and made her way to the kitchen from where Chihiro had just emerged from. She then quickly tossed together a rather disorganized salad. She always makes sure to make a neat and healthy lunch but that day her mind was even more out of place than usual. She felt very offbeat. She knew something was wrong. But still, she couldn't quite place her finger on it. What exactly had gone on that day that was different than usual? What was causing such an imbalance in her mind? She truly never felt anything like it before. -Although she had to admit she wouldn't quite have been able to remember it either. Still, somehow the feeling was so unfamiliar that she had the instinct that it wasn't just her memory loss causing such unawareness of emotion. When did she ever have such a swimming emotion before, within the capacity of her memory?

     She took in a long and stiff breath. Keep calm Kyoko. She told herself. You cannot afford any more weight on the pressure you already endure.

     She looked down at her salad bowl. It was probably the worst salad she's ever made. The only ingredients were iceberg lettuce and a couple of sporadic pieces of tomato. But once again, not that she would even really remember many of her past salads. Regardless, she moved to the tables in the cafeteria room and steadily worked on her meal.

"Hey, Kirigiri!"

     It was Makoto, who had just entered through the double doors from the hallway. She slightly smiled to politely acknowledge his presence but silently wished for him to leave her alone. She needed to sort out whatever was going on in her head. Though, her wishes did not come true.

"So, what have you been up to around here?" He asked optimistically as he pulled out a chair from across the table.

     Classic Makoto, always ignorantly positive. She thought. How is it that he can put on such a bright face for everyone. So casual, and so hopeful for the future...

"Nothing specific." She answered. It was most definitely false.

"...Really?" he seemed doubtful. "I've seen that you've been hanging around Togami a lot recently."

"Well, yes." She answered again. "We happen to both be researching often at the library, so I see him sometimes." She wondered why her heart-rate hitched while saying this.

"You know, I could use some help investigating around the school some days, maybe you can help?" He seemed a bit hesitant.

"Hm, I'll see," Kyoko said plainly. She didn't particularly want to do this but she knew that it would be a good thing to start physically searching through the school as well, instead of just sticking to papers and files.