Chapter Six - The Answer Was Yes

Byakuya surfaced his sleep in a cold sweat. As his mind stirred with chaos, he wiped the lingering dampness from his forehead. What just happened to me? -He thought as he gathered his bedsheets in his hands and peeled them off of him. He didn't recall dreaming of anything -not to mention any sort of nightmare. But, deciding that it would be a better option to calm himself rather than marinate in his thoughts, he staggered to the bathroom and drenched his face in cold water. He rose his eyes to the mirror and saw how absolutely disheveled he looked. It had to be some kind of outside force, something Monokuma may have done. Maybe the thing was getting impatient of waiting for another murder to occur, and messed with him last night.

     Now that Byakuya thought about it, he was quite surprised the past five days have been so uneventful. It only caused more anxiety, simply waiting for the next bad thing to happen. The worst thing was that although he hated to admit it, he was completely powerless. There was nothing more in the world that he hated more than that feeling. Throughout his whole life, he was used to being able to take action, but now all he had was the dwindling hope that resided in everyone. The hope that somehow, their circumstances would resolve themselves.

     It didn't help either that he was surrounded by the most absolutely idiotic students he ever had to deal with. He was damn lucky that he was able to avoid so many of them recently. It's almost like they forgot he was around; this worked massively in his favor.

     After he fixed himself up, he decided to keep in the routine he had the past couple of days, and head out earlier than the rest of the idiots to the cafeteria to make his coffee. Only this time, when he entered the back kitchen, he was ambushed by a tugging at his leg. It was none other than the peasant, Toko Fukawa, who no matter how hard he shook his leg, wouldn't let go of him, her arms wrapped in a deathly grip.

     It was too early in the morning for this bullshit.

"If you don't let go of me this second, you will regret it." He was attempting at least to keep his patience.

     All that came from Toko was a small whimper. She acted as if she were a needy dog that wanted to be fed. 

"W-why d-don't you l-like m-me, master?" -It sickened him when she called him that.

"Leave me alone."

"P-please... spare m-me a m-moment of your attention-"

"If you do not leave this room in ten seconds, you will immensely regret it. Leave me alone."

     She started to cry again.

"M-master why d-do you l-like Kirigiri m-more th-than me?" 

     Byakuya felt his body tense at the sound of that name.

"You moron, what the hell are you talking about?"

"I a-always s-see you w-with her..." She buried her face into her hands as she cowered on the tile floor. Her sobbing echoed throughout the room with so much resonance, Byakuya felt as if it could drive him crazy then and there.

"I swear to god you, imbecile if you don't stop crying this instant-"

     Then, with the sound of the door swinging they both quickly looked up to see Celeste standing in her confident and poised manner, somehow unfazed by the situation in front of her. Something like this has definitely happened before... -He thought.

     With a snap of her head to meet Toko's eyes, and a flick of her finger, she gave her something of a "death stare" -but somehow it held even more power than that -and pointed in the direction of the exit. Her red eyes seemed to pervade absolute and utter fear within Toko and she quickly followed Celeste's alluded instructions and left the room quivering to herself.