Chapter Seven: Worries

Fuck.

God my head hurts.

The first thing I did when I woke up was wince from the pain. I opened my eyes to see the sun beginning to set outside the window. Where was I again? The memories from the battle were flooding back into my mind and I began to remember.

That's right, I passed out. I must have been out for a while if it's already sunset. I move to sit up and I feel a crisp sheet tugging on me. I look to see that I am in a bed with thin white sheets. Groggily moving my head, I could see that I was in the corner of the nurse's office. A curtain had been drawn to give me some privacy from other students while I rested, which I appreciated. If only there was a curtain covering the window so I could sleep some more without the sun bothering me. It was only after stretching my arms and letting out a yawn that I realized I wasn't alone.

In a chair that faced the foot of the bed was a very focused Dash. He had what I would assume to be his homework and textbooks strewn about a desk. Tapping his lower lip with the eraser side of a mechanical pencil, he seemed to be frustrated with whatever he was reading. I watched as he groaned quietly and plopped his face into his palm. It felt strange watching him in such a natural state.

It was a moment after I moved to swing my legs over the bed that Dash noticed I was awake.

"Ah, you're finally awake. You were out for quite a while." He explained as he scrambled to grab his papers and shoved them messily into his backpack. Once he was a bit more sorted out, he turned my way and put on a more serious expression.

"Fenton, what exactly were you doing in the middle of that ghost fight? I mean, I know your parents hunt ghosts, but I thought that wasn't really your thing. Was Phantom not there to help out?" I tensed as he questioned me. My body still ached from the battle and even though I had rested some, I knew I would need more sleep to fully recover from today's events.

I really couldn't handle taking much more time interacting with Dash. It felt like I couldn't get away from him. But I knew that I had to be brought to the nurse's office by someone.

"Did you really bring me to the nurse's office?" I thought aloud with a raised eyebrow. The Dash I knew wouldn't do something like that.

"Uh, yeah I guess. Before I forget, you forgot this when you ran off." He held up a worn-down black backpack and placed it on the edge of the bed. My backpack. "I was trying to figure out where you went so I could give it to you, but then I found you passed out. You were really roughed up you know?" Dash continued. Something about his mannerisms gave me the idea that he could actually be the tiniest bit worried about me.

Looking away from him, I fixed my gaze on my arms. Any cuts that I had sustained on my arms and legs during the fight had been treated and covered with bandages. Lifting my shirt up a little bit, I could tell that whoever treated me hadn't found the more major wounds. Lucky me I guess. If the nurse had found out, I probably would have been sent to a hospital or worse, had my parents called.

I snapped out of my thoughts, realizing I hadn't yet responded properly to Dash. It would probably be best to avoid any suspicion and just answer his question.

"Sorry about that. I just was, um, trying to find my friends. Yeah, I was looking for them, but I got caught up in the middle of the fight." It was obvious that my acting skills were doing me no favors right now. "Ah, but don't worry! Danny Phantom was there and totally handled everything. I just got caught up from the sidelines, that's all." Laughing nervously, I reached out and grabbed my bag. After swinging it around my shoulders, I stood up and took a deep breath. Now to get out of here.

"But still, you were hurt pretty bad. Are you sure you're good to walk home on your own?" He asked. What, was he gonna tell me he wants to walk me home now?