003 ; 1

arriving at hogwarts -

we reached the docks and rowland had helped me out of the boat. we started to follow an older woman to the top of the stairs that was leading the way towards the Great Hall. she had welcomed us to Hogwarts and told us about the houses. there were 4. one was gryffindor , slytherin , hufflepuff and lastly , ravenclaw. after she was done talking , she had went into the great hall and all of us waited for instructions. i was minding my business standing next to harry and rowland when a boy started talking to harry.

" it's true then , what they're saying on the train. harry potter has come to Hogwarts. " a boy with platinum blond hair spoke. everyone started whispering in disbelief. wait , wasn't he the boy who i had walked into the day at Diagon Alley ?

" this is crabbe and goyle. " he says as walks up to harry.
" and i'm malfoy , draco malfoy. " he says with a grin on his face. ron snickers at malfoy's name as i nudged him to stop.
" think my name's funny , do you ? " malfoy says as he looks ron from up to down.
" no need to ask yours. red hair , and a hand-me-down robe ? you must be a weasley. " he says as ron looks down at his shoes. i rolled my eyes at malfoy as he was being arrogant. he had noticed me rolling my eyes and decided to say something to me.

" rolling your eyes , i see. don't you need glasses ? assuming that you couldn't see where you were going when you walked into me at Diagon Alley. " malfoy said as he snickers at himself.
" i can see just fine. " i snapped back at him.

" we'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others , potter. don't want to go making friends with the wrong sorts. " he says as he glanced at me and ron. arrogant much ?
" i can help you there. " he finishes as he extends his hand to harry.

" i think i can tell who the wrong sort are for my myself , thanks. " harry says to malfoy which results in malfoy giving harry a glare.

the older woman returned and taps malfoy's shoulder with a paper indicating him to pay attention to what she had to say.
" we're ready for you now. follow me. " she leads us to the front of the Great Hall where the sorting hat was.

i looked around the Great Hall to see candles floating , four long tables occupying thousands of students and the roof which appeared to be the night sky.

" it's not real , the ceiling. it's just bewitched to look like the night sky. i read about it in Hogwarts : A history. " i heard hermoine talk to the people around her.

" apparently she knows everything. " rowland said to me. i nudged him in response.

before the sorting started , dumbledore gave us a speech. the speech included rules about the dark forest and the 3rd floor corridor on the right side. after his speech , we started the sorting ceremony.

" when i call your name , you will come forth , i shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. " the older woman , whom i assumed was professor mcgonagall gave out the instructions.
" hermoine granger " she called out the first name.

" ouh no. okay , relax. " she says to herself as she walked us to the stool.

" mental that one , i'm telling you. " ron whispered to me and harry. harry nods in agreement.

" ron , harry ! " i said as i nudged the both of them.

" ah , right then. hmm , right. okay. gryffindor ! " the sorting hat said. we all cheered as hermoine jumps off the stool with a smile on her face.

" draco malfoy " professor mcgonagall called. he said on the stool and the hat shouted slytherin even before the hat could hit malfoy's head.

" there isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in slytherin. " ron said to harry , rowland and i.

'" well , i hope i'm not getting into slytherin. " i said to myself.

everyone took turns too go on the stool. harry , ron and rowland had all gotten into gryffindor. i was anxious to get on the stool.

" lastly , riley pierce. " professor mcgonagall called me. i nervously sat on the stool. she places the hat on my head.

" hm , quite difficult but i know where to put you. slytherin ! " the hat said.
i'm sorry- did the hat just slytherin ?!?

i looked down at my shoes and i walked slowly to the slytherin table. i sat down at turned to look at my brother rowland. we were both devastated that we weren't in the same house.

" argh , how in the hell did you get into slytherin ? " malfoy said as he looked at my face in disgust. i just looked down at the table and ignored what he had just said.

" let the feast begin. " i heard dumbledore say. i looked at all the food that had appeared on the table and began eating.

after the feast had ended , we were all brought to our common room and dormitories. i went into the dormitory and found myself a bed.

" hey ! looks like we're bed buddies. " a girl said. i looked at her with a confused look on my face.

" uh , i'm sorry. bed buddies ? " i said in a confused tone.

" yea , i mean. our beds are right next to one another. " she said with a big smile on her face.

" ouh ! sorry i'm super awkward right now. i mean , i don't know anyone here and my friends got into the gryffindor house. as well as my brother. " i told her.

" it's fine. we can be friends ! i'm astoria greengrass. how about you ? " she said as she extended her hand towards me.

" i'm riley pierce. " i said while shaking her hand.

" i love your name ! it really suits you. " she says to me.

" thank you. but your name is really beautiful. i've never heard it before. " i smiled. after saying that. we continued to talk until it was time for us to sleep. but before i went to sleep , i decided to write a letter to my mom.

' dear mom ,
hey mom. i got into slytherin but rowland got into gryffindor ! i made a few friends on the way to hogwarts ! their names are , harry potter , ron weasley , hermoine granger. i'm in my dormitory now but i made a new friend too ! her name is astoria greengrass. she's really friendly and funny too ! i hope you don't feel too lonely at home ! pleases write back soon ! i miss you , mom !

love ,
riley. '

i folded the letter and placed it in an envelope and place a stamp on it. i decided to owl her the letter in the morning.

i placed the letter in between my books and went to sleep. i hope tomorrow will be a good day.

word count ; 1154