Hate

"I hate this tea," Kendra says, and in a moment of divine inspiration, she tosses the whole cup, still mostly full, behind her into the bushes. It feels great. She stands from the park bench to announce, "I HATE THIS TEA AND I FEEL FREE!" A few people stop and applaud. She starts to dance. She starts a whole music video, here in the middle of Central Park. Her song plays and she lip-syncs along for the camera while she dances. Other people join and dance with her. The camera zooms up into the sky to get a drone's-eye view of the choreography. The music video ends with Kendra having climbed up onto the shoulders of the angel statue atop Bethesda Fountain with her own arms outstretched like wings. From there she just releases backward and falls into the water which for the moment is deep enough to be safe, and not just safe but amazing. When she emerges from the water she's completely dry! "What's next, everyone?" she asks. She waves to strangers as she leaves the park.

"I hate this apartment," Miller says, and in a moment of divine inspiration, he leaves the building with only what he has on his back and his legs and his feet and vows to never go back. "I HATE THIS PLACE AND I DON'T HAVE TO BE HERE ANYMORE!" he announces to the people on the street outside. A few people stop and applaud. A double-decker bus goes by and cheers for him. He strikes a good pose and waves like a queen. He starts to dance. He starts a music video there in the Financial District. His song plays and he lip-syncs along for the camera while he dances. Other people, people in suits with briefcases, join and dance with him. They stop traffic for blocks, but no one minds cuz the song is so good. Kids, parents, hot dog vendors join the dance. The camera cuts from close-ups of the dancers' faces to close-ups of the delighted audience, the delighted cab drivers, the delighted people watching out of office windows. It finishes with a close-up on Miller's face, smiling and winking, and when the camera pulls back the whole scene has been reset to how it was, like nothing happened, but the feel-good tune is still in the air and everyone's day feels a little brighter. Miller high-fives strangers and their children as he dances away from lower Manhattan for good.

"I hate you," Boa says, and in a moment of divine inspiration, they kick their partner out the window head-first, and their now ex-partner tumbles in the air and lands comedically in a pile of  trash bags that are mostly full of old spaghetti. Boa stands on a chair and announces to their dog and cat: "I HATED THEM BUT I LOVE YOU AND MORE IMPORTANT I LOVE MYSELF!" The dog and cat share a look. Boa jumps  from chair to chair to couch to table around their apartment as music starts to play. They begin a music video with just them and their dog and cat. Their song plays and they lip-sync for the camera while dancing around and completely, magically, impossibly, making over their apartment like in a movie montage. There's a knock on the door (it's in the music), and Boa opens the door to reveal a parade of friends and neighbors and their dogs and cats, all arriving for a party! Everyone dances and munches on the chips and cheeseballs they've brought. All the dogs and cats get along and cuddle and play with each other, and not one of them pees or poops on anything the whole time. All Boa's friends form a circle and Boa dances in the middle, then pulls different people in to take turns in the spotlight. Boa waves to people out the window and invites them up if they need some fun in their lives. Boa high-fives people as they come in, and everyone is offered chips and cheeseballs and a dog or cat to cuddle and allergy medicine if they're allergic so it doesn't have to keep them from the fun. One of the people who comes in is Kendra! She sees her favorite kind of tea on Boa's counter and they bond for life! The next person to join the party is Miller! Boa needs a roommate now and Miller is perfect! They bond for life! It all ends with Boa and Kendra and Miller dancing in unison in the center of the circle, each holding a puppy or kitten and the camera pulling back out the window so you see this ordinary crappy-looking apartment building in Brooklyn where you'd never know the greatest party the city has ever seen is going on. But even though you don't know it's there, you can feel it if you try.