Chapter 3-Explorations

The ride to the castle was pleasant enough in spite of the awkward beginning, Cassandra had to admit. There was plenty of room for the whole party from Corona to fit inside, and Rapunzel made sure it was crystal clear that they were all going together. 

Another strange look from the advisor, another sigh from the King. 

  Towers rose in gleaming rose-pink to the heavens, and the carriages rumbled over a draw bridge that rose and shut behind them. Eugene surveyed the battlements with interest.

 "I have to say, this is a snug little post-if I had come here on business as Flynn Ryder, it would not have been so easy to get in. Let me tell you," Rapunzel giggled and he broke off sheepishly. "Alright alright, I don't need to go into detail."

  Varian stuck his head out of the window and looked about the elegant courtyard. "Still, they don't seem to have improved much in the way of science. Maybe inside.." He jerked his head back in as Cassandra pulled him back by the belt.

 "Enough gawking like a peasant or the king will send us to the servants quarters," she teased but looking serious. Her sword clanked in its sheath, a reminder of the responsibility ahead. And since Rapunzel was getting that wide-eyed, thrilled to death look at everything she saw, this was quite the responsibility.

  "Come on, Cass, you have to admit you've been looking over the battlements and the guards too." Eugene leaned back in the seat and smirked.

 "I admit nothing, Fitzherbert!" Next to her, Varian whistled a little tune and Rapunzel sighed."Please guys, let's just admit that this is going to be fun and there's lots to see!"

"Who's arguing? I'm not arguing!" Eugene caught the look Rapunzel gave him, and subsided. They must all be a little on edge, Cassandra thought. She slipped her hand into Varian's where it rested on the seat and her husband gave it a squeeze. It was nice to have someone to lean on from time to time, she reflected.

  As their carriage came to a halt, the royal couple descended, followed by their friends. The King was already waiting on the steps of the palace, and as they came up he began to move inside. The Coronan's followed, their eyes getting bigger with every corridor.

 "As you can see, we people of Januk like a lot of color, and we do it tastefully." The advisor had dropped behind slightly, and gave them descriptions of the history behind each item and room they passed. "We hope you all will be very comfortable-you must be tired after your journey, and so I will leave you to your rooms. Feel free to explore the castle-our home is your home." 

  With long, easy strides, the man was lost to sight around a corner.

 Without knowing just why, Cass felt herself breathing easier. "Let's go, shall we?" Rapunzel smiled as Eugene offered her his arm. Varian did the same, and even though Cassandra would have proffered having her arm free she took it. It hadn't been so long ago that they had both thought that he would never be able to walk alongside her again, and she didn't want to take that for granted.

 The gang found many new things along the way, and with Rapunzel that meant they would stop every time. The armor interested Cassandra and Eugene, and some of the old pieces caused much laughter as they tried to figure out how some of it actually worked in battle.  The corridors were so long though that they were very glad to find their rooms. As they said goodbye to Raps and Eugene, Cassandra and Varian found they were given separate rooms across from each other in the hall. And much farther down the hall from where the Rapunzel and Eugene were.

 "This can't be right-why would they split us up like this?" Varian's dark eyebrows furrowed his forehead as they stood hesitantly.

 "Well, it looks like all of my things are in this one, so I'm going to go ahead and get freshened up. We can fix this later." Cassandra peered into the doorway of one of the rooms. She knew that preparing their rooms had been a last minute scramble.With sympathy she thought of the headache each lady in waiting and maid was having. She certainly wasn't about to give them another right off the bat.

 "Okay. But I still don't like it-if you need anything, let me know." Varian yawned suddenly, and Cassandra shook her head.

 "You're half dead on your feet. Grab a quick nap before dinner, or we'll have you falling asleep in your meal." Blowing a kiss across the hall, she slipped into the room and sighed. Her bones felt something was in the wind, but maybe, just maybe she was wrong. She hoped so.