Day one

Back in middle school, you two were classmates, that's when he was friends with Shailene and he'd always come back home telling me and Shay how he had this classmate that looked to much like her.

"Shay I swear this girl in my class looks exactly like you but she wears this long braid that falls on her back" Dylan said to Shailene.

"Is that so? I bet she's not as pretty as I am" she cockily said.

"You two are really pretty" he said looking at her.

"I want to meet her then, why don't you invite her over?" Shay said.

"Because... because we don't really talk" he said embarrassed.

"Then I'll go invite her!" she yelled.

So she did, she went to Dylan's school and she saw you, standing there playing with your friends, she was atonished at how pretty you were, I remember her telling me when she got back home. She even said that if she ever leaves town you'll be Dylan's second bestfriend, because you were the only girl as pretty as she.

"She knew me even before I knew about her..." I said.

After that the days passed, everything happened and Dylan was taken out of school but a few months later he got back in, completely different from what his classmates remembered him, he looked so different that most of them didn't recognize him.

"Everyone, this is O'Brien, new in school, go take a seat" the teacher said.

Day one and he already punched a kid. He wanted to make things as fast as he could. People hating him fast would be better for everyone. When you began getting your nose on what he was doing he knew who you were, he knew exactly who you were. The girl with the long braid that looked so much as Shailene. At first he didn't want you near, looking at you only made things worse for him, remembering Shailene's face on yours. But you just couldn't stay away. 

Something was what caught his eye though. Something totally different from Shailene.

You were always the hero, the do gooder. You didn't need protection at all, you were strong and determinated, Shailene was weak, she always needed Dylan to protect her and speak for her, she always cried whenever Dylan got into a fight at school or with their group of friends, you stopped him, not once, not twice, whenever you saw him you stopped him. You cared even when you didn't know a thing about him.

"You know she needs to stay away, right?" Nina said.

"Yeah, don't worry she won't be a bother, she's just a do gooder" Dylan said with a smirk.

"You have a thing for do gooders" she joked.

"Shut it, I know what I have to do okay?" he said with a sigh.

"I know you might want a real, girlfriend but you can't, don't fall alright?" she said.

"Alright" Dylan said.

He knew he couldn't involve you, but he also couldn't stay away for too long either. He was watching every move, he knew you were dating that guy David, he was so pissed, don't tell him I told you that by the way... Until he couldn't hold back anymore and he began talking to you, sharing words and thoughts, he was interested in you since day one, sure you reminded him of Shay but now that wasn't important anymore, and it didn't hurt any longer. It was like Shailene was finally put to rest in his heart and he found someone else to care as much as he did with Shay, she always told him to find someone as pretty as her, as cool as her and if the girl was better than her then he should marry her. He did what he wasn't allowed to. He fell for you.

"You're falling for her aren't you?" Nina said with her arms folded glancing at Dylan.

"No, I said I have it controlled" he said upset.

"Controlled my ass, don't you think she'll began to ask things after you saved her? I mean why would a freaking bully jump in front of heavy irons to save a do gooder?" she sarcastically said.

"We're not friends, ask around, we're not friends" he insisted.

"Friends or not, girls aren't stupid Dylan, you're doing way more than you should for her, you're falling and hard" she said with a sigh.

"Shut it, I'm not, that's not-"

"And it's not even because of Shailene, because she's a lot different isn't she?" Nina said with a provoking tone.

"They're two different people Nina, shut it" Dylan said upset.

"Shailene's gone Dylan, you can't involve someone else into this, even if you wanted to, not until its over"

"I know!" he yelled almost breaking something.

"Then stop being a kid and do what you have to do" Nina said.

He tried to stay away but you came looking for him, it was too late. So that day, after you slept here.

"If she comes looking for me Nina... please tell her everything, tell her why Im doing this and tell her to stop looking for me, that I'll look for her as soon as this ends, if it ever ends" Dylan said.

"Dylan, are you a hundred percent sure about this?" Nina asked with sadness.

"Who was the one to tell me to do what I had to do?" he sarcastically said with a smile.

"But Im starting to grow on her Dyl" she smiled.

"Im not being a kid anymore and im doing what I have to" he said getting on his car.

So don't ever say he cares about you to feel better about Shailene, she's gone and he knows it, he always knew since the first day you came into his life after the incident. He knew you weren't her, he knew you were a lot different from the beggining.

"Wow... and to think I said such things" I said with shame.

"You didnt know" Nina said.

"So he's really gone huh?" I said with a sigh.

"At least until this is over" she said.

"How long youve been in this?" I asked intrigued.

"Many years now-"

"Then what makes you think it will end soon?" I said upset.

"Aria, don't go looking for him-"

"I know that, but I won't stay here looking how his family suffers, he needs help and I won't be one to stay out an watch-

"Aria-"

"I won't! End of discussion" I yelled getting up and running away.

"You are indeed a do gooder huh, the most important thing that differences you from her, that strength and determination to do things... it doesn't matter if you have to risk something to do good, you'll still do it" Nina said looking at me while I ran away.