Chapter 5

Throughout all the years that followed, Christine always remembered her grandmother's story. It stayed where it belonged—etched into her heart forever. That was where it belonged, and that was where it would stay. She knew her grandmother was truthful, but knew stories like that couldn't possibly be true—still....

Christine loved to read as much as she loved to swim and fish. It was one of her most beloved pastimes. She would spend many a rainy afternoon holed up in her room, a book hiding her lovely face. She read all she could get her hands on. All of Shakespeare's plays she devoured, all of the fairy tales she could find, she swallowed.

One month, near the beginning of her seventh summer; Gustave suggested that the three of them take a little excursion to the mainland, to a little sea-town he had visited once. Both girls agreed. They moved their boat to dock at the seashore, and ventured on land. They explored the little sea-town, with its little shops and outdoor music arenas, and restaurants. Christine found it charming beyond explanation. She did, of course, prefer the open sea to land, but this town had a jolly, vivacious air about it that set Christine's cheeks pink and her teal eyes sparkling. Both her parents noticed Christine's disposition, and felt a little guilt for keeping her at sea for so long.

They explored every area the place had. After that summer, it was decided that they would spend every July and August docked in the little place. Christine loved the town.

The next June, Christine was playing by the steps that led to the water on her boat. She was pretending that her little dolls were Triton and Aleyla, meeting, then getting to know each other. She was very creative when it came to Triton's rescue scene, and overly romantic when it came to the couple's wedding. She made her octopus be the Sea Witch; plotting and planning the demise of the royals. The Sea Witch couldn't have been more cruel when she killed Aleyla.

"What are you doing, Christine?" Charlotte asked, coming to sit by her little girl. "Oh, Mamma, I'm just pretending my dolls are King Triton, Queen Aleyla, and The Sea Witch." She explained to her mother. "Ah, grandmother told you that story, did she?" "Yes!" Christine cooed. "I used to love that story. I made Mother tell it to me every night!" "You did?" Charlotte smiled, "I did." She got up, ruffled her little girl's hair, before going downstairs.

Christine returned to her playing. She made Triton's revenge seem like a tidal wave, which left The Sea Witch crumpled and broken. Then and only then did she let Triton mourn the loss of his wife.

Christine stared out at the water, her playing finished. She seemed to see the face of that boy again, and leaned forward so she could see him better. In doing so, Christine fell forward, toppling into the water. She spluttered underwater, flailing her arms.

Christine heard an anguished cry, before a pair of arms were around her, and she was placed back up on her ledge. She looked towards the sea, but whoever had saved her was gone.

"Fish, are you alright?" Christine looked at her father, "Yes....I was simply startled by a fish...It was sparkly!" Gustave laughed, "So, why are you wet?" "I tried to catch it..." She murmured, feeling bad for fibbing. "Ah, I see. Well, have fun, Fish." Gustave pinched Christine's cheek lightly, before going back to his sunbathing chair.

"Someone likes me enough to save me......Thank you, whoever you are." She whispered, smiling softly at the dazzling waters.

"Grandmother, does every Mer have a differently hued tail?" Christine asked at nine summers old. Arael hummed to herself, as Christine sat by her knee. "Not every Mer has a different hued tale. The commoners can have many different shades of the rainbow. Two common Mer will often have the same color. No one, that I know of, has had a tail the shade of a thunderstorm. Now; with royals, no two royals have the same tail hue. Royals are rare, with tails that look like gemstones. Their tail hue will exist once, and only once." "Wow!" "Wow, indeed..." "How many royal lines are there?" "I believe there are five, besides Triton's line. They are spread out far and wide, though. They each rule a certain ocean area." "How did Triton's line become rulers of the sea?" Arael grinned at her granddaughter. "That, my dear, is an old tale..." Her voice took on that of a storytellers', "Long ago, all the royals lived in one palace—which was called Atlantis. They had a vast Kingdom, and ruled it together, and harmoniously. However, it was difficult to be in one location while all their subjects were spread out everywhere. So they decided to separate, and divide their Kingdom up between them. Each royal had an area he or she wanted to rule. When that was done, they all decided there should be one line that ruled all of them, the King or Queen of them all. Thus we get to your question. They looked over old legends to find a proper and fair challenge. Grecian lore was interesting to them, but they opted against long and short straws. Finally, they decided to find a WiseMer, and have him be a judge of their contest. They would find the shiniest pearl, test their powers against each other. The WiseMer was to round up all his fellows, and some spell casters to create an object which the King or Queen was to wield. They would place the Trident—for that was what they made—in a magic stone and cast a spell that went like this: 'whosoever pulleth the Trident frome the Stone, shall be the true ruler.' They underwent the challenges. And, for some reason, Triton's ancestor pulled the Trident from the stone. Then, it was decided he would live in the palace where all the Mer had once resided; it is nearby, if you know how and where to look." "I love to hear Mer stories!" Christine gushed. "I know, love, I know." Arael replied.

"Sharing history again, Arael?" Christine's grandfather, Eric, teased. Arael looked towards her husband, "You know I love my history—You loved it too, if I recall. And so did Christine's mother." Eric just grinned at his wife. "Grandpapa, what's your history like?" Christine asked. Eric grinned, "Well, Christine, that's a long story." Christine just looked at him, "You know I love long stories!" Eric grinned at his granddaughter, "Well, then, settle down and I'll talk of my ancestors!" Christine hopped down from her grandmother's lap, crawling eagerly into her grandfather's lap. He smiled down at his granddaughter.

He told her of how the oldest ancestor he knew of was a Viking prince, who set sail and tormented all he could. Then he moved on to the Viking's son, who was an adventurer also, and his son, who was a Viking adventurer also. Eric said they lost the line for six or seven generations, "Until an ancestor resurfaced a few years later, and she was a quiet bookseller who dreamed of adventure. She married young, to a man who wanted to travel the world. They bought a boat, and travelled around the world, exploring every area they were able to. Now, their eldest children wanted anything besides adventure. Their children—both boys—wanted a quiet existence, free from the open sea, and all its crazy dangers. That is what they did, Christine. They went to school, and got quiet jobs inland and tried their hardest to forget their adventurer family. The youngest's daughter, Anna, and her best friend—and later husband—Frederick, went on to become the greatest adventuring duo known. Not only did they discover the lost crown of Zamaderan, they also found hordes of lost treasures and other things. Those two were richer than kings, they were. But they were smart too, and found a deserted island where they kept their treasure, and it was their headquarters. They tried to keep a low profile, which they did for the most part, they did." Christine listened with rapt attention, as her grandfather continued, "Anna and Frederick had three children. One went on to become a writer and was successful in his craft. Their eldest went into trade, working on a barge and becoming lost to everyone else but my family history book. The middle child, Evelyn—or Evie, as she was often called—lived as dangerously as her parents, until she found herself at the mercy of the then pirate king. He was said to be one of the most ruthless men to ever sail the seven seas, and never took captives. However, for some reason, he kept Evie captive for months, keeping her alive and fed. He said the reason was because he wanted her parents' gold, and the location to it. But the man was richer than most, he was the pirate king, after all. Well, Christine, will you be surprised if I tell you the pirate king soon married Evie?" Christine shook her head, "No, I'm not surprised at all." Eric grinned, ruffling Christine's hair. "Smart girl. Each child had one or two children. Most of those children went on to do normal, everyday things. But one or two of them kept the adventurer gene going. The barge son's child thought he was a dolphin, and dived into the sea, drowning himself. And Evie's daughter was convinced Atlantis was real, and with her father, and mother's, money to support her, embarked on the longest search for Atlantis. It is suspected she had someone she loved; for a few days after she disappeared forever, a child wrapped up in swaddling cloths with a name—Ravenna—and birthdate labeled on the babe's necklace wound up on the pirate king's ship. They raised the babe as best they could. She was a lively child, and adored her grandparents. She was interested in all things pirate, and also all things acrobatic. Ravenna may have been a girl, but she was ruthless, and was known for killing her enemies when they least expected it, dropping down from her ropes and slaying them before they had a chance to react. She went on to become the pirate queen, when her parents retired from the pirating business. Which brings us to my great-grandmother. She was the daughter of Ravenna, and someone supposed to be her greatest enemy. They captured each other ritually, until finally they gave up the hunt, and married. Those two had twins, My grandfather, and my great-aunt. Those two were thick as thieves, but each had different wishes. My grandfather wanted to become a lawyer, and my great aunt wanted to continue the pirating trade. Well, when they were old enough, that is what they went into. My grandfather met a young lady during his working days, and they had my mother. Meanwhile, my great aunt was keeping her pirating trade alive, and healthy. She had a full crew whom she trusted with her life, and a pirate husband who she loved completely. When my mother was seventeen, she decided she wanted to spend a summer on my great aunt's ship. She performed excellently as second first mate. While my great aunt, and her husband were on their second honeymoon; she left my mother and the first mate—a young man two years older than she with black hair and brown eyes—alone to guard the ship. Those two survived three other pirates trying to gain control of the ship, and seven storms. They also managed to kill seven sharks, and a kracken, I think. Well, you won't be surprised to find that fifteen years later they were married, and had a young son. And that, my dear, is my family history, from Viking times, until present day. " Eric paused, and looked out the window. "And now, I think we'd better get you to bed, hadn't we?" Christine sighed, "That was wonderful!" "You're welcome..." Was all Eric said as he carried Christine to bed.