What's with all the eye contact?

Two days later, Merlin and Arthur were walking in the woods. Arthur was holding a crossbow, Merlin following him close behind. They were sneakily stalking a short distance from a deer that Arthur was about to catch. He positioned the crossbow and aimed it straight at the poor deer. Right when he was about to shoot, Merlin tripped on his own feet, stumbling to the ground, startling the deer that got away thanks to Merlin. "You idiot! That was the third animal today that you managed to scare away. What is wrong with you?" Arthur yelled, throwing his hands in the air from frustration. "Oops, sorry," Merlin replied, faking an apologetic expression onto his face while turning to look at Arthur, who sighed and rolled his eyes, before turning away to leave. When Arthur couldn't see him anymore, Merlin smiled victoriously. He hated seeing innocent animals getting killed. There wasn't even any need for hunting right at the moment, Arthur just wanted to hunt for fun, and Merlin couldn't understand why.

They were walking to a different direction, when they heard a twig snap on their right. They turned their heads abruptly in the direction of the sudden sound, and Arthur lifted his crossbow, ready to shoot if needed. They didn't know what they expected to walk from behind the bushes, but they certainly didn't expect it to be Morgana Pendragon.

She was wearing a neutral expression on her face. A refreshing sight from always seeing her evil smirk or her eyes full of anger. Something was different about Morgana. Merlin thought he saw curiosity in Morgana's eyes, but if he did, it was soon gone behind the metaphorical walls that prevented her from showing emotion. The same walls that all the Pendragons seemed to have covering their emotions.

Arthur and Merlin furrowed their brows, Arthur still aiming the crossbow at Morgana, Merlin ready to use his magic if needed. "Oh calm down. I just came to talk," Morgana said, expression still neutral aside from her slightly arched brow. "If I wanted to kill you I would have done it two days ago in your chambers when you were stupid enough to turn your backs, close your eyes, and distract yourselves by making out, while I was still in your chambers as well," She added, a tiny smirk playing on her lips as she finished talking. Arthur quickly glanced at Merlin, with his cheeks turned slightly pink, as were Merlin's. "Besides, if I didn't want you to notice me, I would have been much more careful than to step on a twig and alarm you of my presence," the smugness in Morgana's voice could be heard miles away.

"What do you want then? I take it you didn't come all this way just to lecture us about how to sneak up on other people," Arthur asked her, his tone serious. "No, of course not," she answered as if it was obvious, which it was. The two men looked curious. It was rarely that Morgana wanted to just talk anymore, it must've been serious. Arthur made a gesture that suggested for Morgana to continue. She turned her head away, looking into distance for a while, thinking what to say, before she spoke up.

"You really accept Merlin's magic?" she asked, and for a while, Merlin and Arthur could see the old Morgana again. Behind all that darkness, behind all that power, was hiding the same terrified young woman that just wanted to be accepted for who she is. The two men started to feel compassion towards her. They still cared about her, they always had, always will. "Yes, I don't believe magic is evil. It's about how you use it that defines whether you are good or evil," Arthur answered, looking into morgana's eyes reassuringly. "And... Could you... Could you have accepted me, if I had told you I had magic, before I tried to take over Camelot?" Morgana asked cautiously, her voice dripping with uncertainty. Arthur's expression softened. "Yes, of course. You're my sister, Morgana, and even though I might not have always known it, I've always cared about you as such. If you would have come to me, trusted me with your magic, maybe things could be a lot different right now," he told her with all honesty, his caring showing from the gentle tone he used.

Morgana was left speechless. She started to regret what she had done. Her mouth was slightly open, her brows were furrowed just a bit, and her eyes were staring into nothingness. All she had ever wanted, was to be accepted for who she is, and now she learned that if only she had been honest, she could have had that. "And... Are you going to lift the ban on magic... When you're king?" she turned her gaze to her brother, curiosity leaking from her expression. Arthur was silent for a few seconds, then he replied, "Yes." Merlin was looking at Arthur in awe, his eyes revealing all the love he had for the prince, and as Arthur turned his head to look at Merlin, he saw all the love he had for Merlin, reflected in the other man's eyes.

Morgana was switching her gaze between the two men, wondering how long they would be just standing there, looking into each other's eyes. They seemed to have forgotten about Morgana, again. "Okay then, do you guys need a minute?" she asked cheekily, a small smirk reappearing on her face. After a few more seconds passed, Merlin and Arthur seemed to have recalled what Morgana had said, and they turned to look at her again. The two had a blush colouring their cheeks, and Arthur licked his lips, trying to get his mind off of the need to kiss Merlin. Morgana chuckled, knowing exactly what was going through her brother's mind. For a long time, Morgana actually felt happy, if only for a while.

-----

They talked for a good while, and Morgana apologised. She wanted to return home, and Merlin and Arthur were ready to forgive her. But they agreed, that morgana returning to Camelot now with them would only cause chaos amongst the people, so instead, Arthur is going to explain everyone how Morgana has changed her ways, and how she is going to return home and be crowned the princess of Camelot.