CHAPTER NINETY TWO

Season 5, Episode 4:  A Katy or a Gaga

Ownership of Glee:  FOX, Ryan Murphy, Ian Brennan, Brad Falchuk

= = =

Will claps his hands.

"All right, big week, guys. Come on. Gather round. I have here in my hand... Drumroll, please... A secret list of the show choirs that we will be in competition with at Nationals in six weeks." Will tells his students.

"Ooh..." is the reply of some.

"Yes. Okay, let's see what we've got. We got the Rust-Belters from Pittsburgh, the Thunder Showcats from Gainesville, and finally, from Fort Wayne, Throat Explosion." Will announces.

"No! Why, God?!" Tina groans.

"Uh, what? Throat Explosion?" Violet gapes.

"That's a joke, right?" Will asks.

"Anything but. They're the new supergroup the Show Choir Underground's been buzzing about." Charlie says.

"Their budgets for costume, makeup, hair alone are astronomical. You guys have read that Malcolm Gladwell book, Outliers, right? So, Gladwell says you can't possibly master anything unless you've spent 10,000 hours practicing it. So students can't even join Throat Explosion without proving they've logged in 10,000 hours of show choir rehearsal." Tina explains.

Violet nods. "They don't even go to class. They just perform, every minute of every day. They live their art. They know no boundaries. They're constantly pushing the envelope, living and performing on the edge. They're like mini Lady Gagas."

"We're so screwed... they're not like Vocal Adrenaline, who were unfeeling Borg robots. They're total outsiders and misfits, which used to be our niche." Artie comments.

"We can't compete with Throat Explosion anymore at that level because we lost our biggest Gaga when Kurt graduated last year." Blaine remarks.

"Look around, we're a room full of, like, Katy Perrys now." Tina comments.

"Oh, you best check your spectrum, Queen T, because orange is the new black, and Unique is the new Gaga." Unique says.

"Well, not Marley... she's a Katy Perry." Jake states.

"So is Sam, so is Blaine. I'm a Katy Perry and I'm proud of it." Artie states.

"Uh, the truth is, Tina, we're a potent mix of Katy Perrys and Lady Gagas in here. But it's not a liability... it's the way we're gonna beat Throat Explosion. Some of us in here are, you know, ambi-edge." Will says.

"Ambi-edge? You just made that up." Violet tells him.

"Uh, some of us are more, you know, wholesome, innocent, romantic, all-American girl-and boy-next-door types. Uh, who in here would describe themselves as a Gaga?" Will asks.

Jake, Kitty, Tina, Unique, Violet and Charlie's hands go up.

Will nods. "Okay, great. And the rest of you are Katys?"

"Is there a third option?" Sam asks.

"We're gonna mix it up a little bit. We're turning our weaknesses into our strengths. This week, the Katys will get their Gaga on and the Gagas will bring the Katy. Throat Explosion does their one thing very, very well, but we need to be able to do both, impeccably, or else we're not gonna have a chance in hell of winning Nationals this year." Will claims.

Violet looks at her fellow Gagas. "You heard Mr. Shue. Let's go get our Katy on!"

= = =

All the Katys in glee club perform Lady Gaga's 'Applause.'