Chapter 10

"So, how old are you, Vivian?" Rosemary asked. The three of them were slouched on the comfortable, brown sofa and had stuffed themselves with chilli until they couldn't eat anymore.

"I'm ten. What about you?"

"We're sixteen." Thyme replied. She's just so young.

"Nice." Vivian commented with a smile before failing to stifle a yawn. She immediately apologised, a guilty look on her face. The twins just smiled and Rosemary stood up and walked over to her.

"Come on," She said kindly, "you can use my bed."

Vivian smiled gratefully up at her and stood up a bit too quickly, almost falling back down again.

"Sleep well." Thyme called after her as the two girls headed up the stairs.

"Thank you." Vivian replied before turning right on the landing and into Rosemary's room.

"I can change the bedding if you would like." Rosemary stated, "I know some people don't like sleeping in used beds."

"It's fine; don't worry." Vivian replied as she carefully sat down on top of the mattress and duvet. She was about to swing her legs over when she gasped. "Oh, my goodness! I didn't take my shoes off. I'm so sorry!"

"Hey, stop worrying so much. We didn't either." Rosemary said softly, shaking her right foot to make a point. Vivian smiled back sleepily and reached down to take off her shoes and place them neatly at the side of the bed. "Would you like some pyjamas? I'm sure I have some in your size." Rosemary said, already sifting through a drawer. Vivian faintly grinned to herself at the older girl's kindness.

"I'll be okay, thank you though."

"Okay then. Sleep tight."

Rosemary went over to the window and pulled the curtains in an attempt to block out some of the light and then walked over to the door. She looked back at Vivian and realised that she was already asleep and then quietly closed the door.

"How is she?" Thyme asked his sister when she arrived at the bottom of the stairs.

"Asleep." Rosemary replied as she bounced over and snuggled up next to him.

"Wow. That was fast." Thyme replied, subconsciously lowering his tone.

"She must be so worn out, bless her. I mean, we don't know what happened to her when-" Rosemary stopped to take a deep breath and then continued. "When the blast came."

"Do you think we should ask her?" Thyme asked thoughtfully, wrapping his left arm around Rosemary.

"I don't know. I really don't know. What if she doesn't want to think about it? But what if she wants to talk about it but doesn't want to be the one to bring it up?"

"If the right time comes to ask then we'll do it." Thyme said, ending the conversation. The twins leaned into each other in silence for a while, enjoying each other's company. They had a special relationship. They never had arguments – not proper ones anyway – and they told each other absolutely everything; even the embarrassing parts. They were twins and they always would be. Nothing would ever change that.

"I love you, Ty Ty." Rosemary whispered softly.

"I love you too, Rose." Thyme replied in a loving tone before the two drifted into a silent sleep.

*

Mia's determination filled her face and seemed to reach down into her core, as if she had been born for this exact moment and had been waiting for it her entire life.