chapter twenty-five - weakness

~chapter twenty-five - weakness~

"i wonder why her exam is so special." hagakure voiced.

shoto the introvert replied, "that's because she's the strongest."

"didn't she lose to you, todoroki-kun?" momo asked.

"she had the final hit. i only won because she fainted."

"you're not quite right, todoroki-kun." recovery-girl joined. "yes she is highly skilled, and one of the strongest in UA high. but her exam is different not because of her strength. it's because of her weakness." she continued.

"her weakness?"

"just like midoriya, aizawa (y/n) is very reckless. but at the very least, midoriya values his life. he has a goal, a solid purpose, and has no intention of dying anytime soon."

the sudden mention made deku stutter, "huh... wh.. what.. i.."

"shut the hell up and let the old hag speak," katsuki growled.

"aizawa (y/n). with no actual goal, she's basically just going with the flow. she lives for others and always puts others first. while this is good for future heroes, she herself is nowhere on her list. she isn't scared of death, nor does she mind it."

"what does that mean?" tenya asked, realising that he doesn't actually know his best friend.

"before she came here, she kept living despite her harsh life just so that her mother could live too. before she knew her origin, every day was filled with guilt and doubt. she felt like she didn't deserve this life that she was given. even in USJ, i'm sure you guys saw her right? she saved aizawa-sensei and almost got herself killed.

she doesn't care what happens to her. her biggest weakness is her selflessness. she doesn't value her own life." recovery-girl sighed.

"... is that why she's alone?" deku asked.

"yes. she's alone so that there's no one for her to care for but herself," she answered.

after listening attentively, introvert no.2, tokoyami-kun said, "i don't think it's working."

why recovery-girl be exposing me tho.

~~

i stayed on the roof to take a quick rest.

"hey, recovery girl-san... you can hear me right? i'm sorry but i'm not able to hear you haha. after watching my classmates work together in their pairs, i kinda feel jealous having to fight alone. do you happen to know why my exam is so different?" i sighed. "especially when this exam is so... important to me."

"is she talking to herself again?" mina asked.

recovery girl replied, "she's talking to me."

"can you keep this a secret? if i'm being honest, i am absolutely terrified. what kind of hero would i be if i can't even save one person? and what if i fail? what am i supposed to do then? how am i supposed to live with the fact that..." i paused.

"i don't know if i'm strong enough. i don't know if i can pass this. the amount of pressure and weight on me is overwhelming. i don't know if i can carry it all. don't get me wrong, i'm not planning on giving up. i know what i gotta do and i will do it. no matter what. even when there's zero chance of me passing, i will still fight.

i have no choice. there's no other way.

hey... recovery girl-san. are you able to treat internal pain? my ears and body hurt a lot. but not as much as this torment. i know you said you won't heal me anymore. but just this once, please?

i say this a lot but i really do appreciate you, recovery girl. you're like the grandparent i never had. all naggy and cute heh. anyway, i should get going now before it gets dark. i can't wait to see sho-chan but i so do not look forward to fighting him. guess it can't be helped. thank you for listening, shuzenji-chan! i look forward to your healing! hehe."

"recovery girl.. you're crying." momo noticed.

all recovery girl could do was listen. she didn't know what weight i was carrying but she wanted to shoulder it. if it wasn't for my will to pass the exam, she would've stopped it just to be there for me. watching me struggle all alone behind the screen was heart-wrenching. she wanted to nag and lecture my selfless ass or threaten to not heal me again. but most importantly, she wanted to kiss my pain away.

knowing that she couldn't do anything for me at that moment frustrated her even more. thus all she did was cry, startling the entire class.

a pissed katsuki chided, "damn it. what the hell is she saying! you old hag! tell me now!"

"alright now, time to get my shit together." i smiled, like i always did. it felt good to rant and let it out. but that's enough of whining for now.

i shambled my way down the road, as slow as possible. the moment that i've been dragging the most was finally here. one step at a time, i could hear the ringing in my ears get softer.

"hello? testing testing," i said out loud. i couldn't hear the words, but i could hear the tone. At least my hearing was slowly coming back.

~~

"you made it... barely," sho-chan said after realising the state i was in. he was expecting me at the end of the road.

"i don't know what you're saying but damn i missed you," i replied. grumbling at the fact that i couldn't run to him for a hug, i kept my arms crossed.

"IT WILL NOT BE FINE NOW. WHY? BECAUSE I AM HERE!" the number one hero declared.

"as i've said, i can't hear what y'all be saying. wait... ERASER HEAD AND ALL MIGHT?!?!"

———

quirk no

quirk no.1: space-time manipulation, quirk no.2: making boomers cry \(^-^)/