Chapter 19: how low can you go?

a/n: honestly i'm just as surprised as you are

.

.

It's the best sleep she's had in a while. And it has everything to do with waking up in Lauren's arms. She tries to feel the guilt and shame that she'd become so used to, but it doesn't come. And neither does the shock of panic.

Lauren wakes before her, gently mirroring the way Camila would normally detangle herself.

Camila digs around for her phone, positive that the alarm hadn't gone off yet. And when her suspicions are confirmed, she almost tugs Lauren back into bed.

"It's four in the morning, come back."

She can barely make out Lauren's face in the dark, but the minimal light from her phone screen reflects the smile that grows on her lips.

"Big plans, remember?"

"No. Come back to bed."

"I'll see you in a few hours."

She hadn't been kidding about the few hours bit. Indeed, a few hours later, Camila is rudely awoken not by one, but four people.

A sudden weight on her stomach jolts her, and the next thing she knows she's looking up at the face of her little sister. An impish smile grows on her face, as she brings a hand to squish her cheeks together.

"Wake up."

"What?"

She's disheveled, blearily staring up at the faces of her friends. They're holding balloons and a large bear. She almost expects them to burst out into song. Her eyes sweep through their faces. Ally, of course, is holding a cake with the word "Congrats" written in intricate cursive. She wouldn't have doubted the fact that she probably baked it herself.

She sees Sofi's wide smile, and presumes this excitement stemmed from the fact that Camila received unexpected visitors.

Her eyes meet Lauren's from over Ally's head. It's a soft, tender smile that reaches her lips and it makes Camila's chest twist pleasantly. And then her words from yesterday flit through her sluggish brain.

Right.

"Oh my gosh, guys." Camila feins surprise. The only one who looks truly convinced is Ally.

"Here put this on," Lauren says, barely giving her the chance to sit up, before thrusting a cap and gown in her arms. "The tassel isn't the right year though."

"Oh - can I change first?" Camila questions.

"No time," Lauren says firmly.

"What do you mean no time? There's more?"

"I told you," Lauren mutters in an undertone. She shoots a look over her shoulder. "Ally planned the prom."

"Come on, Mila," Ally says, clapping her hands together. "We have a whole reception to attend."

"Ally it's not a wedding," Normani murmurs flatly.

Reception may have been more than appropriate, however, considering the house is decorated with a graduation theme. By the time Camila hastily completes her morning routine and makes her way into the living room, she's bombarded with it all.

Strung across the wall is a large, gaudy banner with the word Congratulations in bright gold letters. Streamers dangle along the ceiling, fluttering beneath the blasting AC. Balloons bounce against one another, and Camila thinks she may even spot a dinosaur one (courtesy of Sofi).