09 - Redheads and Reducto

Ellie spent the entire day outside, never once returning to her common room. She had avoided all contact with people as she dragged the box of badges with her. The day had gone by quickly, and its weight grew heavier with each passing hour. Soon, midnight drew closer, and the chilly atmosphere set in.

As Ellie turned another corner, she immediately came face-to-face with a set of redheaded twins, both carrying striking similarities to Ron.

"Well, hello there," they both greeted in unison.

"Um, hi. It's nearly midnight, aren't you two supposed to be in your dorms?" Ellie questioned.

"We've just finished one of our best pranks of the year," Fred answered with a wide grin.

"Hid a Bombtastic Bomb in Snape's office," George announced proudly, bringing both of his hands on his hips as a gesture.

"That's wicked," Ellie laughed, forgetting about the box for a split second. "I'm Ellie, by the way."

"Did you really think we don't know you? You're pretty much Cedric's golden girl," Fred retorted.

"For Merlin's sake, Cedric and I aren't dating!" Ellie protested.

"Told you, Freddie. You owe me two Galleons," George smirked. "She's got an eye for Granger."

Fred reluctantly handed two coins in George's open palm, its gold clanking together.

"Okay, it's great to know you've got bets on me, but how do I know who's who?"

"George has got an uglier nose," Fred explained. "You'll know once you see that crooked little beater."

"We're literally identical," George stated flatly as he glared at his brother.

"I don't think so. I mean, I am more handsome, aren't I, Ellie?" Fred questioned, raising his eyebrows playfully.

"Okay, ladies, let's stop fighting," Ellie announced sarcastically, disregarding Fred's question.

"Ooh, I like this one," Fred teased. "Maybe she'll get Hermione to loosen up."

George laughed at his comment as Ellie merely rolled her eyes, huffing loudly.

"You seem troubled," George noticed, stopping his laughter almost immediately. "What's the matter with you?"

"I screwed up," Ellie shrugged as she lifted the boxes filled with badges. "I need to get rid of these."

The twins looked to each other with wide grins, both sharing the same idea.

"You're in luck. We know just what to do. Come along then, follow us."

Ellie struggled to keep up as Fred and George took long strides, expanding the distance with every step. Much to Ellie's pleasure, they finally stopped. Ellie panted for air from her jog as she looked around her, seeing that they had brought her to the Suspension Bridge. The wood creaked underneath their shoes as it swayed slightly.

"What are we doing here?" Ellie asked curiously as her echo rippled faintly.

Without answering, Fred stuck his hand inside the box and retrieved a badge. He tossed it in the air a few times as he used his other hand to retrieve his wand.

"Now watch me closely," Fred instructed.

He drew his arm backwards and chucked the badge with all his might. Just before it started to spiral downwards, he bellowed, "Reducto!" A blast of blue light emitted from the tip of his wand and hit the badge, exploding it into pieces as they drifted down to the bottom.