31 - The Memorial

It was July 2nd, 1995, the last feast of the year.

The Great Hall had been transformed in honor of Cedric's passing, the drapes that hung overhead now colored black. The usually enchanted roof was no longer visible, its wooden arch structure now exposed for the very first time.

The students were seated at the tables quietly, not one of them daring to make conversation. Ellie sat alone at the Hufflepuff table, though she left a space beside her for Cedric's spirit. The pitying looks of the rest of Ellie's house bore into her skin, but she chose to ignore them.

"Today, we acknowledge... a really terrible loss," Dumbledore started, earning the attention of the students. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know... exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly... a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see... Cedric Diggory was murdered... by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this! But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory."

Ellie gulped painfully as she stared at her reflection in the goblet's surface, seeing her distorted figure on the gold as she attempted to block out any mention of Cedric. She looked up momentarily only to find Hermione staring at her pitifully. From the corner of her eye, she felt the stares of Ron and Harry as well, their expressions the same as Hermione. She didn't react to their gazes and instead looked back down at the table.

"Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me... and reminds us... that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues... our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events... the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was... kind and honest... and brave and true, right to the very end."

Dumbledore raised his glass as a toast, all but Ellie doing the same. The feast commenced in silence, and Ellie couldn't bear to touch her food. After dinner had finished, the students shuffled back to their dorms morosely until Ellie was one of the few students left.

Hermione approached Ellie from behind, placing a comforting hand on the Hufflepuff's shoulder.

"Are you ready?" Hermione cooed cautiously as Harry and Ron stood beside her.

Ellie nodded dismally as she finally stood up, letting the boys lead the way as Hermione stayed beside her, holding her hand in attempt to soothe the Hufflepuff. The four of them made their way to the courtyard, a small assembly of students standing just before the bench the boy had used often.

Just a few days prior, Hermione had organized a personal memorial in memory of Cedric, though she had also intended to cheer Ellie up. Among the small group stood a hefty lot of Gryffindors, as well as Cho and a few of Cedric's friends. The group waited patiently as Ellie finally mustered enough courage to step in front of them, clearing her throat to speak to the lot.

"When I first came here, Cedric was the first person I ever considered a friend. Over time, he began to be my brother, like family. Now I know there were rumors about us, but they were never true. He was so full of happiness... so full of love. He considered everyone his friend, regardless if you knew him at that level. He cared about others whole-heartedly, and he was too good for this world."

Ellie's voice started to crack, her throat tightening as she thought about him. She quickly wiped a tear with her thumb as she looked back up at the group, her eyes flickering to another figure standing at the end of the courtyard. He stood with his hands in his pockets, leaning his shoulder against the stone pillar, his blonde hair being the only recognizable feature. His eyes held pity, and he nodded at Ellie solemnly before turning to walk away.

"But Cedric did not die for nothing," Ellie continued with a firm tone, refocusing her attention to the group in front of her. "Voldemort... he'll pay for what he did. I'll be sure of that, and Cedric's memory will live on."

The group nodded in agreement as Ellie finished her speech. The Hufflepuff looked up at the stars then back to the bench.

"Thank you, Cedric. For everything," Ellie croaked as she stepped away from the center, finalizing her statement.

Ellie approached Cho and hugged her lightly, letting her take her place at the front. Ellie proceeded to stand by Hermione and instantly embraced her waist with one arm, letting the Gryffindor wrap her own around her girlfriend's shoulders.

Ellie barely listened to Cho's speech as she mourned for Cedric's death, eventually tuning out what everyone else had to say. The memorial finished with silence, and Neville appeared with a handful of flowers.

"Neville Longbottom," he introduced himself to Ellie. "I think Cedric would've liked sunflowers. I've made them smaller, of course, so people can hold them in their hand."

"Do you have any roses?" Ellie mumbled.

"I have one," Neville answered as he drew a single, yellow rose from the back of the handful and placed it in Ellie's palm.

"Thank you, Neville," Ellie nodded, forcing herself to give a small smile to the boy.

Ellie made her way to the bench, remembering every shared laugh, conversation, and memory that occurred in that spot. For a moment, Ellie felt a slight pull towards the bench as she gently placed the flower on top of it, letting the others follow suit.

Eventually, the students started to clear out, and Ellie and Hermione were last ones left.

"Everyone already left, darling," Hermione mumbled as Ellie continued to stare at the bench in sorrow.

"I know. I just need a little more time," Ellie muttered. "Go ahead and get your belongings packed. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Are you sure? I can stay with you until you're ready to head back to your dorm," Hermione offered.

"I'm sure. I don't want to keep you out here, especially at night," Ellie insisted. "I'm just going to stay a little while longer. Go, darling. I'll be fine."

"Okay," Hermione reluctantly agreed. "But be sure to see me before the train departs tomorrow."

Ellie nodded as she let Hermione peck her lips, the Gryffindor smiling in hopes to reassure her girlfriend. Hermione's footsteps grew more faint with every second as Ellie waited for the sound to fully disappear.

Ellie withdrew her wand from her pocket and pointed it at the sky, muttering, "Metelojinx."

A small cloud formed above her head, a quiet rumble of thunder rippling throughout the courtyard. Droplets of water started to drip from the cloud as Ellie slowly lowered herself onto the grass. She laid in a snow-angel formation, limbs outstretched as she closed her eyes. The enchanted rain soaked her robes in a familiar manner, and she absorbed the moment blissfully.

"Rain... It's beautiful, isn't it, Cedric?" Ellie spoke out loud.

A rumble of thunder echoed in response, and Ellie smiled knowingly.