Chapter Seven

Pov Christen

I may not have gotten a goal, but I was incredibly proud for Tobin. Most only see her as the lovable goof, but I've seen that incredible woman get serious and push herself to the limits. Doing everything she could to get better at the sport she loves most. "Let's go ladies!" Jill yells into the locker rooms. "They want us to do signings." We finished changing out of our sweaty kits and put on fresh shirts that still donned our numbers.

Tobin and Ashlyn were horsing around and shoving one another, while me and Ali watched our significant others quietly. Shaking our heads at their antics as the four of us exited the tunnel and approached fans who stayed behind for signatures. "Ash, would you stop. Save it for later." Ali says, more a demand than a question. Uncapping a black marker as she walked towards a younger girl wearing her jersey.

"Yeah, Ashy." Tobin mocks. Poking the goalkeeper. Ash growls and sends a hard shove to Tobin's shoulder. Resulting in her tumbling backwards and straight into another woman. Tobin managed to keep herself standing, but the other individual was not so lucky. "I'm so sorry." My girlfriend gushes. "I wasn't watching where I was going." She sends a pointed glare at Ash, who walks away to join Ali. Whistling an innocent tune, like this wasn't partially her fault.

"It's no problem." She assures, accepting Tobin's outstretched hand. As I see the woman bend down to pick up a grey hat, I suddenly realize exactly who it is. Her voice was slightly different. It wasn't high pitched from being an adolescent, but worn and rugged with age. Her long black hair was now short and shaved on the sides. She was a little more pale, no longer the sun kissed teenager I remember. She was like an entirely different person.

"Willow, is that you?" I question. Wanting to make sure I wasn't seeing things. You could never be too sure with how many soccer balls one takes to the head in this profession. She freezes for a couple seconds, picks up the baseball cap, then finally looks up with a clearly forced smile.

"Surprise." She says. The first thing I've heard her say in almost a decade. I wasn't sure whether to cry in joy at the sight of my missing sister or yell in anger at her having disappeared in the first place. I'll go with the ladder.

"What are you doing here?" Is the only thing I can manage to say. Anything I might've wanted to say to her in the past or rehearsed in my head just vanished into thin air. Much like her all those years ago.

"Watching the US kick some Swedish ass." Willow responds, shrugging. Her eyes narrow, brows furrowed as she looks at something behind me. I turn my head, seeing my parents Cody and Stacy Press coming in our direction.

"Congratulations, sweet-" Mom trails off, noticing Willow. Dad doesn't bother saying anything. Only stares at his youngest daughter with an odd expression. I look between the three, sensing some underlying tension. I understand why they might be upset, but this felt like something different.

"Of course they're here." Willow says, breaking the awkward silence. "It's good to see some things never change." I frown in confusion. What was she talking about? I feel Tobin wrap a comforting arm around my waist, and I lean into her hold. The act doesn't go unnoticed by my sister. "Are you two...?" She points between me and Tobin and I nod before she can finish her sentence. We haven't told the public yet, and the off chance of someone listening to this conversation isn't how I want us being found out. Willow gestures to our parents. "Do they know?"

"We do." Dad chimes in. Speaking for himself. Laughter starts bubbling up from Willow. It wasn't the joyful kind you'd hear joking around with friends, but rather one of hysterics and a touch of sadness. She leans forward, placing her hands on her jean clan knees as she just lets everything out. At this point, I was at a total loss for words.

Tobin wasn't. "Do you have a problem with that?" She says somewhat defensively. Her grip tightening around my sides. Gone was the goofball dancing around just moments ago.

"A problem? No. In fact, last time I checked I was also a lesbian. So, I could honestly care less. My sperm donors on the other hand are a different story."

I look at my parents. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, they didn't tell you? Shocker. I was seventeen when they practically disowned me for being gay." That's why she left? When I came out to Cody and Stacy they didn't seem to mind.

"Is this true?" I ask my father. Having nothing but questions and more questions running through my mind. He doesn't look at me. The one thing he has never been, was a liar. So, his lack of defense spoke volumes. "I can't believe what I'm hearing right now." As if to make things more complicated, a new face joins the mix.

"Mom?" A young boy pipes up. Sliding his hand in Willow's. Mom?! I was an aunt? The thought alone brought a smile to my face. My parents on the other hand look about ready to faint.

"Hey, buddy." She says. A gentle appearance taking over her earlier angry expression. "Cody, I'd like you to officially meet Christen. My sister, and your aunt." She pulls the short blondie in front of her and waves in my direction. A delightful grin spreads across his youthful face and he extends his hand out for me to shake. He even had manners. This just made today that much better.

I lean forward and accept his firm hand shake. "It's nice to meet you."

"Cody?" My father queries. Ruining the mood.

"That's his name, and before you say it. No, he wasn't named after you." Willow focuses her attention back on her son. "Get what you wanted?" He spins around, and points at Pinoe's signature on his number 15 jersey. Making me realize that Willow was actually wearing my 23. "Well, this was a great conversation. Amazing win by the way." She says looking at me. "But we must be going."

I quickly grab her arm. Not wanting to be ghosted all over again. "Can we please talk after this?" She hesitates, but eventually nods and I release a breath I didn't realize I was holding. She takes my sharpie and writes her number on my wrist. Willow then turns around and I watch the backs of my sister and new nephew fade into the crowd of people exiting the stadium.

I look at my parents. Having absolutely nothing I want to say to them that should be said around cameras. I grab Tobin and leave for the bus after a quick stop to the locker room to grab our bags. I insert the new number into my phone and close my eyes as I lean against my girlfriend. She hasn't said much of anything. Likely understanding that I wasn't in the mood to talk. The others start trickling into the bus, and I stay quiet over the loud cheering going on between my teammates. Just wanting to go to bed.