Part Four

Just like he did every day, Daniel rested on a towel under the warm, shining sun. He soaked in the rays through his skin and the sights through his eyes, both of which kept him in a still position.

Daniel, like always, was relaxed. He was captured by happy feelings, and stress was non-existent for him. He was in another world where nothing could hurt him and no one could disturb him. Though the man was pretty much allowing his mind to wander, he wasn't completely brainless in his situation.

There was an urging thought that intruded Daniel's mind. It was an odd feeling at first. It was a sense of familiarity that he couldn't quite grasp; a concept of remembering something while simultaneously forgetting it. As Daniel allowed the sounds of the ocean and the wind to flood his ears, he couldn't help but wonder if he had already been to this island once before. Nowhere in his memory was there evidence to support that, but it didn't stop the sensation from flowing freely.

The man was prepared to spend the next hour racking his mind on why the island seemed so familiar to him, but that was all until a distraction came along. Blocking the view of the sun was a fellow male who was only clothed in swimming trunks. He stood tall and strong, but also in a non-threatening way. "Mo, is that really you?" he asked.

"Hey..." Daniel sat up, interacting with the fellow visitor. "I've only ever allowed one person to call me that. Are you... that person?" He remembered the name of said person. Tristan. Tristan liked the name Morris as opposed to Daniel, but Daniel wasn't a fan of being called by his last name. That was when the other begged to use the name "Mo". It was a way for him to grip onto his love for using the name Morris while also making things less awkward.

"You don't recognize your boyfriend when you see him?" the standing one asked. That was when Daniel saw it. That same man was with him before. He was laying on a cement floor with a giant flesh wound as Daniel cried beside him. In the dark age of the apocalypse, he wasn't able to be saved. Instead, the blond was forced to watch the man of his life lose the last of his existence through the opening in his body.

"Tristan?" he gasped. "I... weren't you...?" No, this couldn't have been right, according to him. Daniel may not have been certain about the familiarity of his whereabouts, but he knew all too well that Tristan bled out on a concrete floor. The image of such a traumatic event was almost as clear as the image he was seeing in that very moment.

"That's what you may think, but no, I am very much alive," he sat down next to his boyfriend on the pristine sand and faced him with a warm smile, "and I'm very happy to see you."

Was that memory a dream? Daniel thought. No, it couldn't have been, because he knew what I was thinking. Reality was becoming more and more twisted for him. His mind was starting to fall into a rabbit hole of questioning everything. He pulled himself out of it upon noticing he was staring blankly at Tristan. No, he couldn't waste time being rude in such a heartfelt moment.

Daniel decided to set aside his confusion and take reality as it was and save the questioning for later. If his boyfriend was truly alive, then that was all that mattered. He placed his hand gently on Tristan's and felt their skin touching. Certainly this was real and not an illusion. "I'm really happy to see you too." He put on a similar smile.

Tristan leaned back for a moment and allowed the wind to rush at his bare skin. "Ah, man, this is great. It's just me and only my most favorite person on this planet on the coolest island I've ever set foot on."

"Wait," Daniel brought forth his curious side once again, "it's just us?"

The other turned to look at him. "Yeah, or as far as I've walked anyways. You'd think a place like this would be bustling with Instagram models and travel enthusiasts, but it's just you and I."

"Isn't that kind of... concerning?" the man continued to question.

Tristan, taking the less serious approach on things, merely chuckled. "Maybe everyone in the world died and it's just us two." He scooted closer to really peer into Daniel's eyes. "And honestly? I'm okay with that. You're the only thing I'll ever need in my life, Mo."

A sensation as warm as heat flowed freely in Daniel's body after hearing that. It wasn't as plentiful as the rays of the ever burning sun, but it was just as savory if not more. The excitement pounding deep within the man's heart was enough to motivate him into leaning forward and intertwining his lips with Tristan's.

Distraction had completely taken over the patient's mind at that point. He lost any reason to question how his boyfriend was still alive or why the island felt familiar to him the moment he was injected with love. Similar to what Tristan said aloud, he didn't need anything else in life except for the person who shared only the deepest bond with him. As the two of them broke apart from each other, Daniel said: "As long as I feel this good, you're also the only thing I need in my life."

A peaceful silence occurred afterward. It was a moment of total tranquility as the two of them sat there and watched the powerful waves of the water in front of them. Any other beach vacation would've been crowded with noise and obscuring sights of beach balls and kites, but this had nothing of the sort. It was nature in clear view, and only sounds of nature accompanied it.

Daniel would've been content with sitting next to Tristan and not doing anything else, but alas, his boyfriend had other plans. "Hey, I got something in mind we can do. But, it might get really messy and dirty."

"Yeah? What is it?" Daniel turned to the other, interest piqued.

"It's something that we haven't done much of, but I really enjoy it when we do," Tristan placed his hand atop Daniel's. "Now is the perfect time because it's just the two of us, alone, with no one to watch us or get in the way."

"I'm one step ahead of you," Daniel grinned as he rolled over and kneeled over his boyfriend, a playful grin spread across his lips. He was about to lean down and start the chain of reactions leading up to a pleasurable moment, but he was stopped before he could begin.

"Uh, Mo? What are you doing?" Tristan asked, a genuine expression of confusion came about him.

"Huh?" Daniel asked, mimicking the confusion. "I thought that you wanted to do something that no one would be able to catch us doing." Surely they were on the same page, right?

"Yeah, beachcombing," Tristan pointed out. "You know how hard it is to do it when a gaggle of kids and parents are stealing all the good stuff? Since we're alone, we have all the goods to ourselves and no one can say otherwise." He smiled.

The one on top nervously chuckled as he got off his partner. "Yeah, beachcombing. Of course. I knew that." He looked away for a moment in embarrassment.

Tristan got up and brushed a bit of sand off his body and trunks. He reached out his hand, motioning for the blond to grab it. "Come on, come on!" he excitedly urged. "We may be able to take our time, but the sun won't be out all day!"

The man grabbed the arm, which was normal for the dream. However, outside the simulation in the hospital, Daniel reached his arm out. He was replicating the same action in the real world. His arm continued to move in both states as he was pulled up to his feet. Tristan started running and dragged Daniel with him. It was harmless in Tahiti, but the sleepwalking effects only increased outside of the dreamland.

Like a zombie, Daniel was walking around the hospital room unconsciously. He walked out of the door and only continued to traverse from there. Though asleep, Daniel still wanted to escape in his own mind. It seemed as though that unconscious part of him was going to keep fighting until such a dream became reality.

Step by step, he went down the first hallway. He kept going until he hit a wall, but then turned right towards the stairs. Once he got down to the first floor, Daniel ended up staying close to the wall on the right. He was heading towards an exit, but he found one quicker than expected. There was a giant hole in the wall of the first floor that was poorly covered with police tape, thus making the wall an easy way to escape.

Daniel was now exploring the outside world. His body didn't stop, but rather it just kept going.