Chapter 3

He dropped his cell phone on the floor

He dropped his cell phone on the floor. He knew she didn't want to talk to him, but he was so surprised that she answered, that only for that moment was he allowed to have hope again, Emma's voice echoed back to him. He wanted to see her, to embrace her, and to pray for her forgiveness.

He denied with his head, Ivan's words made him press his lips, asking for forgiveness was not enough this time, he had to prove his courage, to amend his stupid mistake. But how? A part of him shouted at him that Emma would never forgive him, and who could blame her? After the lowly thing he did to her...

He knew it from the moment he watched her go into the bathroom, inside his head an earthquake broke out, he saw her shaking, shattered by what her eyes were seeing. He could hear her crying as she walked away, almost certainly from what was going on in her head, what she would think of him from that moment on. And he knew that because of his action, the world collapsed around her.

He closed his eyes and took in air, her voice made his heart beat, waking up after a long time, the memory of all he did tormented him every day that passed, preventing him from getting better, because every second of suffering was well deserved.

He had sunk to the bottom of the pain, because he knew that they both had something unique. That they were more than just two colleagues and friends. She was everything to him, he held her in his hands and she let him into her heart.

"I created this disaster..." he whispered to nothing.

As if everything had been swept away by a fire that ate up every good moment they spent together, fed by their decisions.

"Are you still mine?" his question made him laugh, of course not, she never was, and it would never happen.

He was not well without her, of course not. If Emma left his side everything would get worse, the darkness would absorb him without mercy, where no one could hear his cries. Help was not coming, nobody was saving him, he was sinking slowly until the edge, waiting for everything to end.

"Please..." he whispered with his eyes closed.

He was no longer in the room, it was one of those moments when he was alone, and sadness consumed him, he heard voices, he saw someone who wasn't there.

"I want to be by your side, I never wanted you to leave" he stretched out his hand in the air, "I know that I am yours, so please be mine."

He closed his hand tightly and hit the bed. That would never happen, he knew he destroyed everything for what he did, the kind of mistake that could bury them alive, putting all that weight on them forever, with no place to hide, no way to escape.

He was sitting on the edge of the abyss, about to fall, since he was the one who destroyed everything, lit the fuse that made disappear the good that existed in his life, and lost his family, and Emma.

"Let me save us," he said, when he could see a ray of light in his darkness. "I know I ruined everything, I killed what we felt, I can still taste the blood in my mouth, but I know I hurt you much more, as if I had plunged a dagger into your heart.