6

ADAM

I heard Elizabeth was delivered by the King towards a rather special room down the hallway. I wonder what could have happened between the two of them last night.

Though this morning, I do have a glimpse of what's about to happen—It's painted all over the king's spirit. The atmosphere building the dining area is just immense and as abominable, for a tantrum waiting to flare appearing on your dear Highness. Why? Time for breakfast is almost over yet Elizabeth isn't an audience present in the dining hall where the king awaits.

I saw the impatience constructing on his face while tapping his foot on the floor, expecting it to burn down to its counting second of a ticking bomb of anger. I sneered in my thoughts and look at him with a hint of disapproval.

What a bastard-cockered face, that is.

When his view landed on me, I immediately bow my head down, hoping he hadn't noticed what kind of look I was bestowing him. Now what a cowardly move of me, that is. Stupid world.

With just a gaze, I knew what he would have wanted me to do. He commanded me before I nodded firmly as I follow the signaled orders—to get Elizabeth here or it's my life on the line. Ain't this guy just obsessed with killing?

I walked the alley down to Elizabeth's new bedroom, preparing myself for the aroma about to greet me. The face of beauty lies behind this door. I smiled at myself before knocking. She truly is pleasant before the eyes or any other sense for me, that is. I want her to feel at home.

No answer came from the other side. I knocked on the crisp of the oak wood again twice, thrice, and a few more, calling out her name, still receiving no retort. I pulled the grasping metal but it was locked from the inside as it was as quiet as I can hear. The king would be in fury if he hears about this, or better yet, he'd be in fury for not hearing anything from Elizabeth at all.

I excused a servant who was passing at the time and told her to help me get access to the door. She froze on her spot and bow her head down like a prisoner in need of mercy.

"Elizabeth."

I was taken aback as well, not realizing that the king is behind me in this instance. How impatient can this guy get?

"Move." He ordered me to. I took a step back and gave him the way with his knocks, almost willing to tear the door down. "Eliza?"

"Has she been sick, your highness? She might not be feeling good. Or.."

"Or what?" The blaze in his eyes grew and reflected onto mine. I almost smirked. Ah yes, an opportunity to fury him. But I didn't, If I still want to live, I wouldn't dare, not in our current status. Careful, Adam, and patience.

"There's a chance she could have left the palace." I firmly answered as I watch his face grow with dark shadows. I heard a clink. Oh well, not that we need any other key or access to this room any longer. The king broke the clasp. Shame on that, but funny for me for snickering in my thoughts. How easy it is, to manipulate a desperate, love-seeking criminal.

Elizabeth's door flew wide open by the Kings doing. I could have sworn I heard a growl in that voice of his, following up his angry breathing. My, poor Elizabeth. She deserves so much more than to deal with all of these abrupt occasions.

And to mention, what a hellish drama so damn early in the goddamn morning.
..............................

ELIZABETH

It was too loud.

I can hear people uttering words but I couldn't get myself to stand up and see where it was coming from. As soon as the hushes began, there came a moment of silence. My mind once again drifted like a light feather in the air, so at peace, as if my mind went off into the wind of daydream.