Chapter 23

I fiddled nervously with my fingers as Seokjin soothingly rubbed my back.

"Why are you so nervous babe? It's just a class," Seokjin asked.

I ran my hands through my hair, "I know, it's not the class. It's just, it's becoming very real to me that I'm gonna give birth to a living human. It's a little too surreal for me."

Seokjin gingerly held my hand, offering me a delicate smile.

"I'm not sure what there is to be nervous about, but I promise you that you will do well. I'll be by your side every step of the way. There's no 'i' in pain."

I stifled a laugh, "Actually-"

He sneered at me, "I swear I will throw out all the pickles if you finish that sentence."

I held my tongue, internally laughing from his failed remark.

Just then there was a firm knock at the door.

I took a deep breath as Seokjin moved to open the door.

Today we were taking a birthing class together so we could know what to expect when the fateful day came.

I was planning to go to one of those group classes that you saw in TV, but Seokjin insisted on hiring the best in the field.

Honestly, I was pretty sure he was trying to butter me up by flaunting his money, but at this point I had no energy to argue with him.

"Hello!" A very high-pitched voice exclaimed.

A young woman around our age spritely stepped into the house with a golden grin on her face.

She seemed...enthusiastic.

She rushed over to me and squashed me in a big hug which I awkwardly reciprocated while giving Seokjin a very concerned look.

"You must be the new mommy! You can call me Sookyung! I'll be helping you out today so we can embark on a safe and happy journey of motherhood together," she smiled.

I nodded, unconsciously shifting closer to Seokjin and intertwining my fingers with his.

"So I'm not sure what you've heard, but this class isn't meant to act as a simulation. We're never ever gonna simulate birthing pain because that's unnecessary pain for everyone. Instead what we aim to do is talk you through the birthing process, get you comfortable with what's going to happen, and address and answer any general questions that have come up or that you might have. So I'm here as a friend right now. You don't need to feel nervous around me. I can tell you're a little bit tense which is actually the first point I want to address. CEO Kim, would you do me a favor and give Miss Kwon a back rub?"

Seokjin immediately began to rub and massage my back, no even hesitating to make me feel more relaxed.

It was one of the things I truly adored about him. He was always very considerate of other people even if it never seemed like it. I was able to learn from what he says and does to know that he often thinks of his family or friends or even future partners in mind when doing things.

His hands expertly worked out kinks I didn't even realize I had and I felt myself melting into his tender touch as if I was being hypnotized.

"Perfect. Miss Kwon, if you'll notice, you've become a lot more relaxed. During labor you'll be experiencing a lot of pain in a lot of different areas. You'll also be stressed because your mother's instinct of the safety of the baby will also kick in. A lot is going to be going on and it can easily eat away at your mental and physical well-being during birth. During birth, it is important to stay as relaxed as possible so that you don't accidentally hurt yourself. CEO Kim, a lot of the solution is actually going to come from you. See if you can help her relax by giving her a massage or just talking with her. Know that she'll be in a lot of pain and you're the first person she sees and knows, so it might be very difficult for you but you have to be there for her."