Chapter 18

Olivia was sleeping in her room and on her bed

Olivia was sleeping in her room and on her bed. She stirred a little, having a vivid dream. In her dream, alone she stood, looking at her feet that were perched on a tall rock surrounded by a pit of fire. Her skin was heating up and she left like she could not breathe. When she looked up from her feet, she saw multiple rocks floating in the fire, creating a path that could lead her out of it.

Carefully stepping on a rock she checked to see if it could sustain her weight. The rock did not move, so she jumped on it, and then on another, and another. She was almost out of the dark cave filled with a pit of fire, but when she jumped on the last rock the scene changed and she now found herself in a forest filled with unnaturally twisted trees and birds that were flying high up in the sky. Looking down at herself she noticed the ropes. She was tied to the only tree that didn't have any leaves on it. She looked up at the branches of the lifeless tree and saw something falling off of it—gray-colored monsters, half-human half-beast.

A dozen of these monsters fell on the ground from the top of the tree with a spear in their hands. They stood in a circle, watching her, before murderously charging at her with the spear pointing towards her. Olivia shrieked, waking up from the dream. She was out of breath with sweat dripping down her forehead.

It had been a few days since the incident but Olivia was still reliving it in her memory. She had similar vivid dreams every night that sinfully resembled the horrifying memory of the time when she was about to be lashed.

She sat up to check her watch on the side table to see the time. 3 a.m. Giving up on sleep, she picked up a book from the shelf and read it until it was time to go to school.

***

On the next day, sitting at their usual spot at lunchtime, it was difficult for Olivia and Kaden to converse with Natalie without mentioning the incident.

"You wouldn't believe what happened next!" Natalie said, exasperated, her long red nails catching Olivia and Kaden's attention.

Kaden took a bite of food from his plate, whereas Olivia barely had an appetite.

Natalie continued. "He dumped her and now he won't even go out with me!"

"I'm sure that is a very pressing matter, Nat," Kaden said sarcastically with a poker face, but Natalie didn't seem to take the hint. "There are worse things that happen around the world."

"Not in my world. In my world this is important, and since you are my friends it is important for you too. What else could take priority right now? If I don't find the perfect guy then I'm going to die as an old cat lady. So I don't think anything could top my problems."

Olivia snickered as she said under her breath, "oh, you'd be surprised."

"What did you say?" Natalie asked.

Olivia coughed. "What's wrong with being a cat lady? I for one think it's an honor to be liked by cats."

"Then you be it," Natalie exclaimed.