Chapter 37

We finished our brunch soon and quickly called Lily and James to let them know about our plans. 

Lily's answer was immediate and with a yes, she cut the call promising to be at my doorstep in another ten minutes. James took a minute to analyze and then said that he had to see if he was free.

Out of the four of us, James was the only person who thought and behaved like an adult, making sure that we all followed the rules. Now, with him telling that he needed time to think about this, made me roll my eyes at him. I was sure he just wanted some alone time with his girlfriend to get her back to their old terms.

"He's in." I said after listening to the conversation that Nick had put on the speaker.

"Yeah," Nick muttered, putting the phone away. He came towards the dining table to clear the utensils and wash them.

Unlike Rob, Nick was helping me in scrubbing the utensils. He wiped them off with a dry cloth and put them in their right places. Robert only sat at the dining table watching us clean up the place. I wondered if he didn't have any other place to be. Lately it seemed as if he was absconding of work and spending more time here, in my house.

He was still looking at us when we had completed our task at hand and had sat at the couch talking. His scrutinizing stare never seemed to get away from us, as if he was in a drama class closely looking at the ones who were on the stage, ready to point out the mistakes.

"What?" I asked, interrupting Nick from his talks. I had enough of his stares to last a lifetime.

Robert only raised one of his eyebrows at me challenging me to question him further.

"Why are you staring at us like that?" I asked. I folded my hands for more effect. "I mean, I know we are wonderful and all, but this seems a little concerning. Are you okay?"

I smirked in content when I saw his face fall. I was pretty sure that he was not expecting that. It was not even a minute when he had recovered completely from it. But when he started to open his mouth to give me the answers that I so desperately needed, the doorbell rang. For once, I was more than happy to reach for it.

When I rushed to the door, there were two people standing in front of it, having their back to each other. I raised both of my eyebrows in shock and wonder. I had never seen the two fight like this since they fell in love. If this was their case, I wondered what happened last night once we had left Lily to James' place.

"Good to see you too?" I said, waiting for them to respond back.

Lily took this as a cue and dodged in hitting my shoulder in the process. James stood there like a lost puppy waiting for his mistress to give him some command. He tried to reach out for her but held back his words in the last minute. I nodded in understanding and pointed my head towards inside.

"Hey Robbie!" Lily's attention was fully focused on Robert now, clearly trying to make James jealous. "You were so great yesterday. The way you drove with such speed, wow!" Lily seemed like she was under spell.

Nick moved closer to me, his eyes never leaving her. He looked like he had seen a ghost. The poor guy was in shock all this morning. "Is she drunk? Should we stop her?"

Robert, who sat at the edge of the couch seemed like he had got a cobra wrung around his neck and was desperately trying to get out of its hold. The confident guy, the one who had claimed to have made a move on countless number of girls, seemed to have gone into a shudder. He sat frozen thinking that the prey would assume him to be dead and then leave him alone. He looked at me, pleading me to help him out of his little situation.