Chapter 56

"Hey." I waved my hand as I walked towards him. Luke's face lit up on seeing me. "I thought you were not going to be here today."

"Why's that?" Luke asked, wiping his hands on a rag cloth and throwing it away.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "Drinks, girls, night out, do you want me to continue?"

Luke grinned. "What makes you think that I didn't do all that?" He signed for me to wait and went behind the garage. After a minute, he got my bag and handed it to me. "Yours."

"Thanks." I said, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Yesterday, I left hurriedly and I kind of forgot."

I didn't know why I left like I had to clarify things with him. I had won, I had showed up and conversed with the people whom Calvin and Robert wanted me to, what more was I to do?

"Calvin was pissed at you." Luke whispered. I knew Luke wasn't the type to gossip and turn talks around, but with his warning, I felt like it was a big deal. I didn't understand why Calvin had to be angry with me. "He was cursing under his breath all night."

"That's okay." I assured. "I want to meet him today, anyway. I'll deal with him then." Luke nodded in understanding and I got that our conversation was over. "Have you seen Rob?"

"Bert didn't come here today, Scar" Luke said, an enigma of smile on his lips were telling more that what he was saying. "Said he had too much to drink yesterday and had a pounding headache."

"Oh," I said.

Robert was shitting and I knew it. He never drank and often scolded me when I did. If he lied about it, then, was there any other reason for him to do so? He had not contacted me after we spoke last night. By the time I got up, he was gone. My skin prickled and I knew something was not fitting in the whole scenario.

I had thought that I had figured Robert out and felt like I could read him better. But just as I had pealed one layer off of him, another layer surrounded him, having me captive. He was a little disturbed with Mira's incident and apart from that I didn't know what had gone wrong.

I remember that he had told me he had screwed up his game. Were people coming to him regarding that? He usually supplied goods to parties, was he caught by the cops this time? There were so many possibilities and I didn't know to which to cling to.

"Hey, he's alright." Luke placed his hand on my shoulder. "You look pale." I nodded my head and gave him a half-hearted smile. "I think Calvin's staring at us from his office."

I looked at Calvin's office once it was mentioned. Surely, he was standing in his office, looking at me through his glass window. When he saw me watching him, he pointed his index finger at me and wagged it front and back, asking me to go to his office.

"Busted." I muttered, giving a smile to Luke. I didn't want him to worry about me for worrying about Rob. "Wish me luck."

I walked towards Calvin's office, climbing the stairs, pushing my duffel bag and the school bag up my shoulder. Calvin was waiting for me when I reached his office, standing at the door, keeping it half ajar. When he saw me, his face hardened and underneath it, I could see anger flashing. He closed the door behind him and stood with his hands folded across his chest over his coat.

"Hi Cal." I waved my hand awkwardly in front of me, for which he only grunted back.

"Where the heck were you last night?" He demanded. "Victory Speeds had come to talk with you and you had eloped with that asshole?"

I was stunned with his words. I had come across a lot of stuffs all this time and this was nothing compared to the things I had heard before, but Calvin had never once raised his voice with me, let alone scold me. I didn't know going home early from a party was a deadly mistake.