How To Rule Your School

Denise Donovan. That was me, the it girl of LaCoaster Academy. No one dared to defy me, not even the Dean, Mr. Jerry.

"Lisa Hopkins for the crime of bullying Emily Wintersnow, you are hereby X'd. Punishment may follow as decreed."

Warren, my muscle guy came forward and pasted the large 'X' -for cancelled- on her locker. Silence ensued, the deed was done. Now she was prey to everyone.

Lisa fell to the ground begging for another chance, but I wasn't one to retract my decrees. The crowd of students parted for me to form a path in the now crowded hallway as I catwalked away from the catastrophic scene with Jenna my bestfriend leading Emily behind me.

I ruined a life. That was how I ruled.

I pushed open an empty class, it wasn't empty.

"Evacuate this room right now, I have a pressing need for it." I called out to the three students inside. They quietly packed their things and left. Leaving Jenna, Emily and I.

"Shut up." Jenna issued out to a crying Emily, I guess she was pissed by the constant sniffling. Couldn't blame her though, I was too.

Emily clamped her mouth shut, albeit her shoulders quaked softly. She was crying silently.

"That was the third time this week and it's Wednesday. I thought I told you to own your shit and shove it up any prey's ass." I was tired of fighting her battles, she wasn't the only one being bullied but hers was the longest I'd dealt with.

"Well it's not easy. I get scared each time they open their mouths." Emily whined softly, the tremors in her shoulders reducing a bit.

I sighed. Jenna did too. We exchanged looks and it clicked.

"I'm throwing a party tonight, be there by 5." I was going to give her a makeover.

"But that's too early, I have to ask my parents for permission first and isn't it a school night?" Emily mumbled on and on, probably thinking of more excuses to conjure up.

"Change of plans then, you're coming with us after school." Jenna chirped in to shut up her blabbing.

"I am?"

"She is?"

We asked together. Jenna nodded.

"You are." I concluded.

3pm.

We were out of school. Jenna and I caught Emily trying to sneak away, good thing I had people put eyes on her thought out. Jenna dragged her into her car. I followed behind and got into mine. We drove to the mall.

5pm.

We arrived at my house. Good thing dad was working late. He hated my parties.

"Hey Mum." She was reading a fashion magazine in the lounge.

"How was school Denise?" She called out.

"Great. I'm throwing a party tonight, could you help me with dad?" I walked past, Jenna and Emily following closely.

"Hmm sure darling." She cooed.

"That's how you talk to your mum?" Emily had her face in a circle of amazement. Couldn't blame her, almost everyone had the same reaction when they witnessed us talk.

"Amazing, isn't it? You ain't seen nothing yet girl." Jenna chuckled. She was used to my mum and I.

Jenna pushed open my room door and I pushed Emily in gently. "Welcome to my humble pad."

"Wow, this is magnificent." Emily gave in astonishment. Her voice sounded dreamy. I knew I had a wonderful house, it came with all the wealth.

"A'ight go take a bath, you'll find scented soap in the floor cabinet on the left. Take your time." Jenna instructed Emily and left to use a guest bathroom. I went to use Mum's.

6pm.

Emily sat in front of my dressing table and mirror. "Is this really necessary?" She asked with uncertainty.

"Of course. I'm gonna doll you up." I smiled cheerily. It was my hobby to change lives, I couldn't be happier.

"Where's Jenna gone to?" She tried to keep the conversation going as I began to trim and prune her eyebrows.

"Well someone has to organize the party," I took a spoolie to brush her now perfect brows. "Besides, mum can't do it alone."

"Why do you even bother with me? I am no good anyways." Emily questioned out of the blue. I guess her insecurities were surfacing because of her bare face.

I smiled. That girl was once me.

"Says who? No one gets to decide that but me, and I think you're great."

7pm.

Loud music overtook the silence of the house. Guests began to arrive, I was down by the door to welcome them. The party wasn't in my honour, someone else was the Belle of the party.

Jenna descended down the stairs all dolled up.

"Take over for me, I've got to make sure our Belle remains belle." Jenna smiled.

7:30pm.

"Are sure it's okay? I feel so out of place." Emily panicked.

"If it wasn't I wouldn't choose it or don't you trust me?"

"Umm.. I do."

"Then there's nothing to worry about." I smiled. "Shall we?" She took my arm and we walked out of the room.

Before we cascaded down the stairs, I reminded her of some pointers. "Now it's time to take pointers from Denise Donovan's rule book."

Jenna got the signal, she stopped the DJ.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, your belle for tonight," Emily stepped into the spotlight. "Emily Wintersnow!"

The room was taken by loud gasps of surprise and delight. Like Belle, she was in a yellow dress, simple yet elegant, slutty yet decent, only someone like Emily could pull that off and only someone like me could find a dress like that. I followed soon after her, climbing down the stairs. I took her arm.

"Rule number one; avoid small talk. Make them want you." I whispered and moved her away from the waiting gents at the foot of the stairs.

She looked back at them and smiled slyly. That's it. She was getting in character.

"Rule number two; know how to fight back hard."

"But I can't do that, I freeze up every time someone's near." Emily groaned quietly.

"That's because you put too much focus on their eyes. Focus on the lips, make them feel self conscious and tune out of whatever they blab about."

"Easier said than done." She mumbled, but I heard.

Jenna pulled me away from her just in time for Fiona to walk towards Emily. I was sure she was saying something mean because Emily was stone for a while before she snapped out of her reverie and said something. Jenna smirked and I mirrored it. She must have said something witty, Fiona looked livid.

"She's learning." Jenna said, I agreed.

Jenna pulled her over.

"Rule number three; act like whatever character you wanna portray." She handed us drinks.

"You're an actress and the world is your stage." I completed for Jenna.

Emily smiled. Her confidence was growing. "So what character should I play?"

"Sass. Be sassy girl, serve it on a gold platter." Jenna responded

"Last rule; when you've got them hooked, show the real you. Give and take. Be firm and flexible, know when to draw the line. Hold and let go. But no rush, you'll get it in time." I clunked my glass against hers and Jenna's.

I fixed a life. That was how I ruled. Was I good? Not necessarily. But I wasn't bad either. A good leader was neither. That was how I ruled my school.