To The Edge Of Doom

Eighteen

You feel safe around Acadia. Not safe enough to confide in her, but safe enough to be with her. It's a big step above how you had been feeling, that's for sure.

You liked how she laughed and how she talked. You liked that she was sweet and funny—charming in her own right.

You liked that she and Cato were friends, but you weren't ready for the consequences of that. You had noticed some tension when Cato came back one night. It was palpable. There is an indescribable feeling of heart sink when you realize a perfect life you have might crumble, and you got that feeling when Cato told you he and Acadia had gotten into an argument.

About what, he wouldn't say—just that he didn't want to hang around her for a while. He stressed that you were allowed to do as you pleased, but words like that only go so far. It was obvious that he didn't want you to interact with her either.

What had the fight been about? What could possibly be so intense that two good friends would stop talking and wouldn't tell you why? You felt a lot of pain at the idea that they might not make up—especially since you really liked both of them. You had been on a few dates with Acadia, and even though nothing serious had happened yet, you felt like you saw a definite future there. Was that just gone forever?

"I'm sad," you confessed to Cato, even if it made you feel selfish.

"I am too," he said, although he sounded more pissed off. He still wouldn't open up about what they fought about, and you had stopped prying.

With a Ping! You got a new text message—odd for you.

Acadia – pls don't talk to me anymore.

Acadia – I don't want to see you or cato ever again.

What?

You weren't even involved! Should you tell Cato? You looked at him, where he sat across the living room, tensely reading a magazine, obviously trying (and failing) to relax. You shouldn't burden him with it right now.

It made you want to cry—in fact, you were going to. You excused yourself to the bathroom and stared in the mirror. Go on, you prompted yourself. You can cry.

You couldn't. Maybe your brain just didn't think it was important enough to cry over—maybe you had sort of expected something like this to happen. You went back into the living room.

Acadia – if you never hear from me again, don't come looking for me.

That one seemed a little weirder than your basic aggression.

"Cato..." you started off, sitting on the couch. "Acadia is sending me weird messages."

"That asshole. She should not be bringing you into this," he spoke through gritted teeth. "You should honestly block her, I've never seen her act like this."

"Look at this," you said, showing him your phone. He squinted to read before fixing his expression in a soft glare.

"What is she even playing it?" he posed rhetorically.

"I'm almost worried," you admit. "These are weird."

"Yeah..." he agreed, his gaze softening. "That was weird to say."

Ping!

Acadia – not that you'd be able to find me anyway.

.:x.x.x.x.x:.

The two of you decided to go to her house after that. Either to see if she was okay and tell her to quit with those, or to find out something was wrong, and she needed help.

You marched up to her doorstep and knocked, waiting patiently. After a few moments, Cato knocks again—and then again.

"Maybe she's not here?"

"I kinda doubt that," he sighed. "I hate to do this, but I need to know she's safe." He lifted up the garden gnome beside her door, popped off his hat, and grabbed the key inside. "We know each other's spare key locations, I'm not a weirdo," he explained with a smile. That made sense.

The two of you entered to eerie silence. The lights were all on, but no one was there. You stood awkwardly in the walkway while he checked all the rooms, only for him to return clueless.

"She's... not here."

Ping!

Acadia – I'll never be found by you.

"This is really weird," you said, the fear in your voice growing evident. "I'm sorry, but what did you guys even fight about?"

"I... didn't want to stress you out," he admitted.

"I can handle it."

"We fought because... she knew Adrien. She found out."

What?

What?

You were dumbfounded, silent, and unmoving.

Ping! Your phone yelled again, but you couldn't move due to shock.

"I think I can find her, there's a place she goes sometimes. Do you want to talk to her?"

"I...don't...know..."

"Maybe we can work something out with her," he said, oddly positive thinking coming from the guy who didn't hesitate to kill Evan at the first sight of aggression.

"Okay," you agreed, your voice sounding distant.

"Come on, let's go," he said, locking the door and pocketing the key. He drove you both to a motel on the outskirts of town—nowhere you expected. Your phone didn't go off again, and you didn't bother checking the last message. You couldn't think.

When you both got there, you didn't question Cato's odd knowledge of the place. You were sure it was just knowledge that came with being her friend. Knowledge you didn't get yet—knowledge you never would. He knocked on the door her car was in front of, and there she was.

She looked awful.

She was clearly rattled, even more so when she saw you.

"Get out," she demands.

"Let's just talk, okay?" he asks, stepping closer to the door, trying to get a foot in before she slams it shut.

She mutters something too quiet for you to hear, but it clearly made Cato upset since he told her to shut up immediately after.

"I don't want to be near her, you—told me n—" she starts but fails to finish as Cato pushes the door the rest of the way open and steps in. You hesitantly follow.

"Let's just—talk, okay?" he asks. The second the door shuts, though, everything seems to move too quickly to observe—you've been stabbed. Cato's expression is unreadable as he stares at your wound at your assailant at you at your expression at the knife at at at at at

At you 

-

do you think Cato was telling the truth?