twenty-three

Like a deranged woman on a mission, Irene barrelled her way into the middle of their circle.

"Oh, now it all makes sense." She looked at Lisa and Jennie's joined hands. "How long has it been going on? Under my bloody roof! You have until noon tomorrow to get out," she practically screamed at Jennie. "If I get home and your stuff is still there, polluting my house, I'll have it removed and donated to the Salvation Army."

Anger radiated off Minnie in thick waves. "You can't do that."

Ignoring the curious glances shot their way, Lisa put a reassuring hand on her little sister's shoulder. "Don't worry, Irene's full of hot air."

Irene pressed her lips together in a thin, angry line. "Really? Try me."

"Been there, done that, didn't like it," Lisa deadpanned, delighted when Irene's mouth fell open.

"How dare you. How dare both of you. I treated you with nothing but kindness, and you..." Irene turned her angry glare on Jennie. "You, Jennie. I gave you a roof over your head and you repay me by lying and stealing my girlfriend?"

"I didn't lie to you," Jennie said softly. "And I didn't steal your girlfriend. We didn't start dating until you broke up."

"Oh, I don't doubt that, but I'm sure you were screwing each other well before then. I figured Lisa was getting it from someone else, but never thought to look under my own roof."

Minnie tapped Lisa on the shoulder, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Is she always this obnoxious, Lis? Sheesh, no wonder you never wanted me to meet her."

Anger contorted Irene's features. "Who asked you, pipsqueak?" Okay that was pushing it.

Reigning in her fury, Lisa spoke in a low, controlled voice. "If you know what's good for you, Irene, you'll walk away. We received your message, and will do your final bidding."

Unbeknown to Irene, she'd done Lisa a favour. Once they got home they'd no longer have to hide their relationship.
Concern gnawed at Lisa's insides when Jennie wouldn't meet her gaze. But she wasn't about to ask what was troubling her while Irene was within earshot.

When Irene's gaze locked on something, or someone, over Lisa's shoulder, the tension that rolled off her was so thick it was palpable. "There you are, sweetheart."

There was no mistaking the tenor of Seulgi's voice. Like fingernails on a chalkboard the high-pitched screech made Lisa cringe. She didn't turn around though, it was more entertaining watching the emotions playing out across Irene's face. None of them happy.

Her cheeks turned crimson, whether from anger or embarrassment, Lisa couldn't be sure. Probably both. The fact Seulgi was now calling her boss sweetheart was almost laughable.

"I told you, I'd meet you in the tearooms." Irene breathed heavily. Lisa wouldn't have been surprised to see fire burst forth from her nostrils.

"I know, but you've been gone for so long, I started to worry you got lost. It's a big place, you know?" Seulgi whined like a petulant child.

In that moment, Lisa didn't know who she pitied more, Seulgi or Irene. On second thoughts, they deserved each other. The thought made Lisa smile.
After a brief stare down with Irene, Seulgi finally took stock of the three women before her. Feeling smug, Lisa smirked and waved. Minnie and Jennie stood mute.

Ignoring all three of them, Irene held a finger to Seulgi's lips. "I'll be right there, now go."

"Fine, just make sure you don't give any money to gold digger over there." Acting like the self-entitled bitch she was, Seulgi poked her tongue out at Lisa then spun on her heels.